Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '89 graduate with low miles and almost rustless.

Question.

1) vertical face of the driver's seat has a tear approx 8" long. Material is tan vinyl.

Are these worth trying to repair or is this just a first sign of future tears to come?

If a replacement is in order does anyone have opinions on the best quality replacements for the do it "myself" kits? Not interested in the covers.

2) I have read the recommendation to drill and maintain drain holes to protect the body from rust. is there a schematic on the appropriate locations to drill them?

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'd recommend that you take it down to a local upholsterer and get a price from him. Chances are some of the foam/padding is going to need tweeking as well. I think you'll be a lot happier with the result. I was.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As far as replacement seat upholstery goes, check out Welcome to LeatherSeats.com. I was told my 89 seats were unrepairable due to the brittleness of the material after 22years. The package from Leatherseats was about half the cost of the local upholstery shop and pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 89 Spider Veloce seats are the recarro style sport seat as opposed to the original alfa seats I think the graduate has. The difference is the sport seat looks like it has a pad that comes out the front end of the seat bottom and the original seat is sort of rounded. No matter. The sport seat is leather front and vinyl sides and back. You could go with vinyl all around, if it saves a bit but I found no downside to the leather except maybe it's a bit more expensive. Note that if you have the original seats then Leatherseats often has a special on that kit which saves even a bit more money. I did an original vinyl seat upholstery about 20 years ago with no particular problem, and then the combo leather / vinyl this summer. Either way it's within the realm of the marginally dexterous owner to do. Note that if your foam is really bad you may need to cut some out and glue in patches. Heavy weight foam is available around most upholstery supply shops or even upholsterers. If you have any discrete questions just email me off line.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed,

The leather seems to me to be the more interesting way to go despite not being truly original to the model. I appreciate your kind offer of assistance.
An excellent winter project lies ahead.
Rob

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Dunno about where you are, Rob, but here in Denver there are upholstery shops that do fantastic work cheap. They can probably rebuild your entire seat good as new (or better) for not a lot more than covers. Any material you'd like (I'd go for tiger skin personally, but that's just me! ;) )

As far as holes go, for starters where are you located? In many climates such a thing doesn't have much use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts