Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a "free" Alfa (73 GTV) that had sat out under a tree for years, runs, but sun did a number on interior then tree branch did a number on trunk lid . . .

Are there alternatives/substitutions for the front seats? Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Free GTV, man you scored!! I personally would not
remove the stock seats, cause they are pretty
comfy. You can get re-upholstry kits from many
places, World upholstry, Centerline, international
Auto, Alfaholics, OKP, etc, etc. This will be
much cheaper option than buying new seats.

I guess you could get seats out of the junkyard
from, a Honda, Acura, Toyota, etc, and get the
rails and custom install them. You are still
probably looking at at least $150 a seat for ones
in good condition, and lots of fab time.

Have fun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stock might be better

The second you start changing out stock parts and replacing them with parts that sort of fit, the value goes down, unless you are putting in something desirable, like recaros. The stock seats are decent and pretty comfy. The hassle of refitting a different seat that may screw up the driver position and the time monkeying with it could make it a waste.
Keven, what is "okp", I'm not familiar with them? Always good to find new sources.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd vote to keep it stock. However some spider owners like Miata seats as replacements, I guess they aren't too difficult to fit to a Spider, not sure about a Bertone GTV.

OKP

Ciao,

·
Registered
982 Posts
Kingpin,

OKP is a place in Germany that I buy most of my
Alfa parts. Gianni has the link above.
Its a great place with very good prices, and
selection. I usually buy large orders all at
once, cause the shipping is kinda pricey from
Europe. I have also found that using Paypal
to pay them is better than a straight credit
card payment cause you get the current Euro
exchange rate, not one picked by your credit card.
In Paypal you can choose to send Euros, or other
currencies.

Also it usually takes my items about two weeks to
get to me ussing "economy" shipping.

I usually deal with a fellow named Christian, he
has been very helpfull. Here is his E-mail
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Dumb question- how can the value of a free car go down? You have to pay somone to take it? I'll go for it- if you give me $100, I'll take your GTV ;)

Seriously, the one thing you need to be careful with is seat height- quite a few cars have you sitting farther from their moutning points, which may run your head into the headliner.

One of these days, I'll replace the Cobra Classics with the stock ones again... Another friend tried Ricaros, but set him up high.

Good score! And good luck!
Eric

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have been following this thread because I now have a 74 GTV and there is no way I can fit in it with a helmet on so I am looking for a seat which will allow me to sit at least 2" lower.

Ken

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I always thought those aftermarket seats will have a lower hip-point than a stock seat. Maybe this is not the case with Alfas.

I'm thinking replacing my stock 73 GTV seat with some Recaro or Sparco. The stock ones sure are nice, but they're worn to a point that they have no support (lateral or back) whatsoever. I will slide off the seat even if I'm just making a 25 mph turn. :(

I know Sparco has a mounting bracket just for Alfa GTVs.
Any comments from whom had Recaro & Sparco installed?
Thank you. :D

And those 69 GTV seat are so hard to find.

turbolarespider said:
Seriously, the one thing you need to be careful with is seat height- quite a few cars have you sitting farther from their moutning points, which may run your head into the headliner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used a seat made by PROCAR in my previous 74 GTV without any height problems,they offer good support if I remember correctly the sliders come with the seats. and are some what cheaper than the RECARO or SPARCO.And they bolt right on to the stock mounting points without modification.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Chan
We change from the stock seats since they were hard to stay in during the long sweeper at Wateford Hills.

I hope it depends on the seats, but the Alfa seats I've seen are pretty darn short from hight to mounting point. Not to say that its impossible, more just to be aware that it can be an issue.

If I modified the classics I have, they would be much better, and I still may do that. But the quality of seat cover is not very good- we tore them within a few months of ownership. These were Cobra Classics- they were cheap and looked good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I'm looking for an alternative for the crappy seats in my project GTV. Looking for something more comfortable for my 6'4" frame that also has a headrest that goes high enough to prevent whiplash.

Anyone have pictures of aftermarket seats in their GTV?

·
Premium Member
13,696 Posts
I was unhappy with the standard seats in my 79 Spider. I found a pair of seats from an 86 Veloce in a Junk yard and had them re-covered in heavy cloth. They are comfortable, supportive and do not get very hot or very cold in Summer/winter. I found a retired upholsterer who works for cash from his home. He did a nice job of both seats for $200.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts