Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've got a 1983 Alfetta GTV 2L and i'm looking to upgrade my headers and exhaust system to match my fast road engine (rebuild still in progress) but i am not able to find a decent quality set, yet alone any headers for my engine. I am looking at either a 4-2-1 or 4-1 system. Does anyone out there know where i can find a decent set ? Ideally i would like the headers to be around 40mm and the centre/tail end around 60mm.

As another thought, does anyone know if the headers from another model, i.e. 105 series would fit? I know the manifold shapes differently around the steering rack, but would they still fit ?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,

Rob.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have just received a set of headers from CSC in Italy and the remaining exhaust from Super Sprint, they both look great!! I have an 81 Alfetta sedan 2.0 so wanted something that was right for the car yet an improvement over standard and much better than the crap that had been fitted over the years, do you have a budget in mind?? i can share some pics if you would like (or not as they do look sharp!!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi fabcrab,

I would really appreciate it if you could share some pics. Are you able to provide some details of your headers/exhaust i.e. diameters etc. Also, is it all steal or S/S?
Also having a combination of CSC/Supersprint does the exhaust all match up or is some modification required ?
As for a budget, I am hoping to spend around 2k. Over here I have been given quotes for custom header/exhaust systems for 4k which I really cannot justify spending for an exhaust system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've got a 1983 Alfetta GTV 2L and i'm looking to upgrade my headers and exhaust system to match my fast road engine (rebuild still in progress) but i am not able to find a decent quality set, yet alone any headers for my engine. I am looking at either a 4-2-1 or 4-1 system. Does anyone out there know where i can find a decent set ? Ideally i would like the headers to be around 40mm and the centre/tail end around 60mm.

As another thought, does anyone know if the headers from another model, i.e. 105 series would fit? I know the manifold shapes differently around the steering rack, but would they still fit ?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,

Rob.
Hi Rob,
Did you ever figure out your dilemma with the headers? I am currently in the same boat and looking for options. I have a guy that custom built his SS headers for a 105 (they look great) and not sure if it fits a 2.0 Alfetta. Neither is he...
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not so much offered for the 2L 116 GTV. Something from EB spares and a nice header set from Supersprint. Cheap they are not, but then there is not such a big market.

Bang! Just like that! Thank you for your post. I hope it helps others too! I have heard of EV Spares before and have searched but for what ever reason did not find them. I did find original new OEM euro headers for sale from fiat. Thank you again, I ll be buying these very soon. David

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
It is interesting that that the secondaries of those headers are significantly different in length. That is unusual. I am experimenting with the length of the equal length secondaries on my Shankle headers and the effect is profound. I will most likely post details in a few days as I try to get my head around it but briefly a rich dip that occurs in the mid range which is expanded as the secondaries are shortened which in turn puts a dip in the the torque curve. I wonder how a motor would behave with cylinders 1&4 making different torque than cylinders 2 & 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting.
It is interesting that that the secondaries of those headers are significantly different in length. That is unusual. I am experimenting with the length of the equal length secondaries on my Shankle headers and the effect is profound. I will most likely post details in a few days as I try to get my head around it but briefly a rich dip that occurs in the mid range which is expanded as the secondaries are shortened which in turn puts a dip in the the torque curve. I wonder how a motor would behave with cylinders 1&4 making different torque than cylinders 2 & 3.
Interesting. As a Captain/Engineer on boats, how are you testing? Dyno? We want to build a track/street car and interested in getting it right so please post any information for the rest of us... Great feed going here.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
OK, racing headers. These guys are into making racing headers for the V6 and the 75 turbo. You should ask them if a 4 cyl header is possible in their program!

Also the Supersprint header is very nice and racy, so it should also be considered.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I was told today that the secondaries are different lengths because the primaries run on either side of a cross member. Not ideal but better than the alternative I suppose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't be the only person looking for such a thing, so I believe (or hope) that some are made. EB Spares does have original euro headers and they are within the ball park of 800 eu. SS is good on the want list but, $ can go to other performance parts. As far as I can see, I'll be spending close to 9k usd to get to 200 hp. Therefore, if ordered as I see the sites above, they could be custom made (diameter). I am thinking of going for 45mm Webers, 45mm manifold ported to the carbs and head, 45mm intake valves and 38mm exhaust valves. It caught my attention that the secondaries length had a impact on performance...

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
It caught my attention that the secondaries length had a impact on performance...
That's for sure and it is not described in any books that I know of. Shankle sold headers for Alfetta's in the 80s and 90s and his stuff was generally good. There must be some sets lying around somewhere.
200 HP is ambitious. Be wary of "going big" on the induction system. I have 45DCOE's and a 1600 manifold with modified 40mm carb mounts that taper out to 45 mm. The results are very good. Maintaining high gas velocity is important and you may lose that if you open up the head and manifold too much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's for sure and it is not described in any books that I know of. Shankle sold headers for Alfetta's in the 80s and 90s and his stuff was generally good. There must be some sets lying around somewhere.
200 HP is ambitious. Be wary of "going big" on the induction system. I have 45DCOE's and a 1600 manifold with modified 40mm carb mounts that taper out to 45 mm. The results are very good. Maintaining high gas velocity is important and you may lose that if you open up the head and manifold too much.
too late to respond, but looking for to keep this thread going and looking forward to more information and learning from past experiences ( I have a feeling I will be with alfas for a while!) The sickness is real.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
A guy here had a Nord Twin cam project for racing and achived 215 HP and 220 Nm on engine. The exhaust header of that one was just like the headers from Extreme tuning and not at all like the fast road streat headers. So that spaghetti form is the one to look for if serious racing. Eventually that guy found normal aspiration not enough and changed over to supercharging and thereby increasing power significantly. This project took several years and probably not cost effective, however he proved that 200+ Hp was possible on the old Nord engine from a 116 GTV!

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
There is no doubt that some race cars deliberately incorporate different lengths in the exhaust to widen the power band at the expense of peak power but the Alfetta headers have most likely been designed like that in order to make them fit. My post about my experiment with 4-2-1 demonstrated how a change of 9" in the secondaries which gave a boost at 3000 and 6000 rpm put a hole in the torque curve in the mid range. NASCAR racers use 4-2-1 headers on each bank of the V8 motors and they are secretive about the design of the secondaries. It is known that some teams have different headers for different tracks. The designers of aftermarket street headers do not have the same resources. You can read plenty about tuning exhaust systems to provide a power boost in a certain rpm range but very little about loss of power in other parts of the range. Nothing is free!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Here a little comparison between original manifold and aftermarket street headers possibly Shankle or ANSA, and Supersprint. As can be seen the principle of all 3 are the same the outer go together and the middle cylinders go together. The big differences are in lot less resistance in wider tubing ang smoother bends in the aftermarket items. So these can make 10-20hp more than the cast iron items. Interesting to compare the old Shankles with the Supersprint which look very similar! Maybe Supersprint made a copy?

But all these headers are actually small mods just for the road, dont think this is for racing with best output! The last photo is a header made for racing 4into 1 spaghetti type, from the project I mentioned. All tubes passing on one side of the engine support. So planning for Fast Road or Racing is a big difference, and have to be decided early in the project.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts