Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm in search of a economy car for 4k or less (will be bargining). Does anyone have experience with anything that burn's 30mpg or better? Reliabilty is a huge concern.

Reason I'm searching for a economy car.
I'm will be attending UTI soon, and the campus is located 74 miles away. That means I will be tracking 150 miles a day. I do not want to put those mile's on my GTV, plus mpg's are not great with GTV's (it's decent but not the numbers I need).
So right now I'm just mind clouded. I have a option to move 400 miles away to Arizona where renting a apartment is cheaper then California. And I can bring my gtv with me, and live there for a year. But I want to stay in California so bad.
Since I love California so much, I'm sure I will be dedicated to track 150miles a day. Well sorry I had to throw this out, maybe a few can voice there opinions, so I can dwell on either moving to Arizona for a year or Driving far and staying in California.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Come on, we gotta keep Sniady here! $5 from each of us? :D

Actually, I do have a '91 Camry for sale. We got consistant 23-25 mpg, all city driving. It should get in the 30s on the hwy. It's certainly not stylish or sporty, but it is reliable as hell. If you're at all interested, let's talk turkey.

I don't have any pics of ours yet. This is the same year and trim level, but ours is gold.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
econo car

Hi Sniady I highlly recomemed Subaru I have 2 running alfa's 164 and a spiders and my daily drive is a 1993 subaru Loyale wagon with 160k miles. It gets 30mpg plus on the highway and just runs and runs. My car is slow and way underpowered, but is worth way less then half what you are talking about spending, not that I would sell it.

You should be able to find a middle to late 90's Impeza with half the miles my car has within your price range. The Impreza is the car the wrx is built on. The early Imprezas have 2.5 liter engines that make about 150 hp, I think. Unlike my car 1.8 liter and 90 hp you would have some power and still get about 30 to the gallon.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,372 Posts
OK, why not have it all.

An 82-83 GTV6 with the tall 3.43 rear will get 30+ MPG on the highway in decent repair. Full synthetic in the engine and transaxle will improve those numbers a bit. There you go.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Good choice!! I'm thinking about it too.
Sniady said:
I'm will be attending UTI soon
Sniady, did you check the price of renting a place over there? It might not be as expensive as you think. Commuting 150 miles a day is pretty tough, I did that a while ago and it's not fun at all. (Unless you're driving your GTV :) )

A GTV6 as suggested by JoeCab sounds really good.
My suggestion would be Honda EG9 - a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback CX will set u back about 4000 at a dealer lot (about 2900 at private party)
Really good mileage from the 1.5 All ALU engine and speed to keep up with traffic.
Parts are cheap and readily available. And nothing much will go wrong on a Civic, even if it goes wrong, you would be able to fix it yourself by then ;)

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the clues.

The GTV6 is definitly a cool idea, but alfas are piggy banks, I can't afford it.

I've been looking at a Dae Woo Lanos, Chan's idea on a Civic hatch is a good idea, maybe even a Camry like Kai said.

Arrr one minute I tell myself I'm going to drive it the other I say I'm moving to Arizona. Time to go look at rent prices in AZ, and bust out the calculator and do some 2 + 2's!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,372 Posts
My wife's WRX gets pretty awful gas mileage when I drive it :)

She always manages to get decent mileage but I'm on the boost so much it really chugs.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I used to have a Honda CRX HF, and with really narrow tires, would consistently be between 50-55mpg. Best I ever got was 65mpg with that car.

With performance rubber, the average would drop 5mpg.

By no means, is this a fast car, it had all of 65hp, BUT you might be surprised how this was enough 95% of the time. It was a little slow on autocrosses.

Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Honda Civic seems to be a good and reasonable choice as long as you live in the USA.
Though if you want something more original in this price range, go for an Alfa Milano (Alfa 75) or a Peugeot 405 Mi16.... But it's not easy to find it there (about 10-15 years old and not big sales but fabulous cars at this price).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Geo Metro will get you the best gas mileage outside a hybrid. You could pick up a '95 for $2 - $3k. On the otherhand, it you like a Honda, I have a 1987 Accord, gets over 30MPG hwy. If you want it, I would let you have it for under $2k. Has 130k, new trans, runs great.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
If it's juts transportation

A 1995 or slightly newer Toyota Tercel should always get you there and back and cost around $3000 in excellent condition..

1500cc and about 95 horsepower...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mercedes diesels. 30+ mpg, room and sure makes Alfa feel quick and nimble in comparison, though they can be driven quickly down hills . . .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Snaidy,

I vote you buy my GTV6. It is an excellent highway cruiser, it already has a CD player and 6x9's for when the awesome sound of the exhaust note is not enough.

It has crossed the US a few times already, comes with a box of spares that are worth about $1500 from IAP, and gets 28 mpg. At least that is what I got bringing it down from Seattle.

You should have driven it at Fuddruckers!

(actually you should move to AZ so that I can win in E!)

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts