Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Are search settings frustrating you too?

• Yes, search settings are frustrating me too.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Nope, works fine for me.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't get what the fuzz is about.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The minimum word length of 3 characters in Search has repeatedly frustrated the hell out of me.

The last incident was a search for "TZ no 57" (none of the 3 terms accepted, therefore no result). Try searching for "#57" and be surprised at the result.

A previous incident that I still remember was searching for "Bill of Sale" (the term "of" was not accepted, hence the search had to be changed to "Bill sale" and you would not believe how many theads there are where a person named Bill talked about a sale.

To add insult to injury, once the server happily responded something like: "The search term you specified (tz) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found", the next thing I often encounter after changing the search term is: "This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in XX seconds." This often happens because no results are found.

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating !!!!!

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW: I think a search term length of 2 characters minimum is necessary to give better results, and time between searches should be reduced to 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Don't complain, it use to four character minimum.

To get around the three character limit, try using the "wildcard" character, which is "*". I tried your search "TZ* 57*" (entered without the quote marks) and I got two replies.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't complain, it use to four character minimum.

To get around the three character limit, try using the "wildcard" character, which is "*". I tried your search "TZ* 57*" (entered without the quote marks) and I got two replies.
I'm glad you got some results, but they're not the correct one.
Search should have found the thread with this post.

I'm pretty sure the wildcard characters only return searches of words with at least 3 characters (where the 3rd character is not a space, period, or another character that is deemed a special character).

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Asearch on "TZ*" will return results that have the letters "TZ" at the beginning of the word, no mater what the third character is. It would find TZ, TZ2, TZ/, etc.

However, no matter what I type in the search, I couldn't find the post you mention. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it was only posted yesterday, maybe there's some kind of a time limit involved?

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asearch on "TZ*" will return results that have the letters "TZ" at the beginning of the word, no mater what the third character is. It would find TZ, TZ2, TZ/, etc.

However, no matter what I type in the search, I couldn't find the post you mention. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it was only posted yesterday, maybe there's some kind of a time limit involved?
I agree that search with a wildcard will find words beginning with TZ as long as these words are 3 or more characters long, but it will never find the 2-character word TZ because these words are excluded from the search.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I searched for "Bill of Sale" and got hits. I think the key is to put quotes around it so that it searches for the string. But, that doesn't help much with searching for TZ.
I agree that "Bill of Sale" is easier because it's an exact phrase. However, in my experience knowing the exact phrase is more of an exception than a rule. I searched for "TZ no 57" because I knew all three terms were used in a thread (actually, more than one -- I tried to find the other ones) but not necessarily as an exact phrase (i.e. in exactly this order) but with the current settings this search is impossible.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
i recently tried to search for a/c to no avail.
air conditioning yielded 2 posts that weren't relevent

frustrating

bill
91 164L
88 3.0 milano
73 spider
73 gtv jr

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Sorry about the search limitations guys. There are reasons that things are set the way they are though. The search feature takes up a large amount of the servers CPU power and we have to stretch all that we can to keep things working. If I allow 2 character searches I feel that it could potentially do much harm to the servers overall performance during peak hours. Imagine if someone was searching for the word "is". Basically the server would be sorting thru every posting on the site that has the letters "is" in it. I’d suspect that the results would be large.

As for the 20 second limit it is to stop bots (automated software) from concurrently abusing our search feature and also affecting performance.

I think that the sites search feature is very good but I think that what we need is a search guide. Like explaining wildcards, quotes, AND, OR, NOT when using the search.

One other option is using Google. You can limit your search to just AlfaBB.com via their advanced search feature. Here is a link to results from a google seach for the letters "TZ". Click here to see the Google results.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Search is Frustrating?!

Sorry about the search limitations guys. There are reasons that things are set the way they are though. The search feature takes up a large amount of the servers CPU power and we have to stretch all that we can to keep things working. If I allow 2 character searches I feel that it could potentially do much harm to the servers overall performance during peak hours. Imagine if someone was searching for the word "is". Basically the server would be sorting thru every posting on the site that has the letters "is" in it. I’d suspect that the results would be large.

As for the 20 second limit it is to stop bots (automated software) from concurrently abusing our search feature and also affecting performance.

I think that the sites search feature is very good but I think that what we need is a search guide. Like explaining wildcards, quotes, AND, OR, NOT when using the search.

One other option is using Google. You can limit your search to just AlfaBB.com via their advanced search feature. Here is a link to results from a google seach for the letters "TZ". Click here to see the Google results.

Simon,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give searching by Googling a try, I am more than frustrated with the search capabilities and the resultant query results returned. I have literally given up using it or putting in words that have nothing to do with what I want to find; I have just as relevant data returned. When you put in an exact phrase from a post within quotes and it will not bring back the expected result my reaction is wanting to yank all the computer cords out of the wall or throw the computer off the roof.

I've searched for several who have contacted me privately about posts they wanted to find and couldn't. For the most part, I've been able to find them, but only because I read a lot of the board and search by who I remember posting it in the member profile not because of the search function.

I understand having to protect the bb and using the server in the most effective way, but there has to be a way to make the search function return relevant query results based on the search terms while still remaining end user friendly. I can work around it, but that doesn't mean I like it nor am I going to make a huge issue of it. I will continue to help those as I can, find what they need. It would also help if the highlighted search terms were in bold black or some other color than faded grey to easily spot as you search through a thread with 50 - 200 posts looking for the search terms entered.

As far as the 20 second delay, I haven't experienced that for a long time, ever since my computer has decided to stay logged on to the site, regardless, of whether the computer restarts, shuts down etc. AFAIK, I have not changed settings or checked the remember me box; one day it just decided to do this, so it's wonderful not having to ever log-on, it's just there for me. This has been the only site that holds the log-on on this computer, my others still require me to log-on and expire as they always have. It's only this computer also, my other computers require me to log-on when the individual bb session expires.

Thanks for being there for us and for listening to the suggestions, whether they can or cannot be implemented within the established configuration and cost structure.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Searching for "tz no 57 site:www.alfabb.com" did indeed produce the desired result.
Great tip, Simon !!!

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Yeah the Google search engine is very good.

I once incorporated the Google search into the site but didn't like that it took the user out of the site for the results and then possibly back depending on the search results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts