Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure enough, a 2nd question comes to mind in short order -

Are there, and/or should there be, some kind of "seal" around the edge of the plastic headlight covers? It seems too easy for water/dirt to get past the edge of the plastic and settle in the headlight itself and the recessed part of the nose covered by the plastic.

Any opinions/experience on this?

Thanks in advance again.

JP

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
No, there aren't any seals. These covers only fit well up to the series 2 Spiders, since the headlight and front nose area are a little different, starting with the series 3 cars. Also, it also seems that the more recent plastic used by Carello is very susceptible to shrinking... I would encourage you to do a search in this forum, since this has been well covered, and there is some excellent feedback...

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts

Are there, and/or should there be, some kind of "seal" around the edge of the plastic headlight covers? It seems too easy for water/dirt to get past the edge of the plastic and settle in the headlight itself and the recessed part of the nose covered by the plastic.

Thanks in advance again.

JP
I don't think there are any. I'd find some clear RTV, run a bead around the edge, let it dry, then trim it with a single edge razor blade to fit. The RTV should be easier on the paint than the plastic headlight cover would be.

HTH,

bs

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
JP,

There's another thread on Carello headlight covers here with a picture of my headlight covers and gasket.

Thanks in advance again.

JP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, boys.
George - as I've not yet fitted them, I may try your approach. Is there a type/brand of self-adhesive foam you'd recommend.

BTW, I also like ditching the little chrome affixment dealio, and I was going to use a nylock'ed bolt instead of a screw.

Best,

JP

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I just went to the local home improvement store, and bought the thinnest and narrowest foam I could find (if I remember, 1/8 in. thick by 3/8 in wide) then cut to half width with a pair of scissors.This is just wide enough to match the edge of the headlight cover as it becomes thicker near it's edge.

The stainless Phillips head screw was chosen instread of a bolt so the smaller head would fit down into the recess molded in the cover at the front mounting hole. If you use a true bolt, the head is likely to be too large (I remember even having to file the screw head diameter in order for it to fit in the recess).

thanks, boys.
George - ...Is there a type/brand of self-adhesive foam you'd recommend.

BTW, I also like ditching the little chrome affixment dealio, and I was going to use a nylock'ed bolt instead of a screw.

Best,

JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts