Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct sealant to use on the rear of the gasket for a 2L. That has the three large oil passage openings .
Paul Spruell has instructions on sight using a single bead of an anaerobic gasket maker like loctite 518.
John Norman has instructions to spread a sealer like ultra grey all around the rear of the head gasket where the openings are.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I use Permatex Ultra Grey appplied as recommended by Jon Norman. No problems doing this with several cylinder head installations with Reinze head gaskets.

Reactions: Gordon Raymond

·
Administrator
555 Posts
Why not using a gasket you do not need any sealant, because it has the silicon where it should be and on both side of the gasket?
Headgasked zylinder head side.jpg

And on top this gasket is about 1,8 mm thick instead of the 1,3 mm Reinz one.
Original Alfa gaskets were about 1,9 mm thick.
Headgasket engineside.jpg

Bernhard

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Why not using a gasket you do not need any sealant, because it has the silicon where it should be and on both side of the gasket? And on top this gasket is about 1,8 mm thick instead of the 1,3 mm Reinz one. Original Alfa gaskets were about 1,9 mm thick.
Bernhard
Reinz were recommended by almost everyone on this BB in recent years ....that was the reason I went with them. Though I was not overly happy with their fit on the 1750 engine due to contour mismatches at the water passage openings. I was not aware of Payen brand before....but it looks to be an improved design ....who sells those?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like ultra grey is the way to go ..
Just for reference this is from the Spruell site :
HEAD GASKET SEALING AND TORQUE
WARNING!!!! Late model 2.0 head gaskets need special attention when being installed on early engine blocks. The early heads drained oil at both front and rear of the cam drain oil galleries. These passages run the length of the head under the spring pockets and were open both front and rear to drain back to the sump. The rear of these passages connected to galleries in the back of the block that drained vertically and exited on each side of the rear main bearing cap.
Late model heads and blocks do not have this rear oil drain feature. Therefore, as shown in these photos (click for full size), the late model head gasket does not have the bead of sealer between the water jacket and the oil gallery. With each head gasket, we supply a tube of anaerobic gasket sealer to bridge this gap (top AND bottom of gasket).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts