Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI: I "Seafoamed" my newly acquired 164 - you know just to clean the engine out. Mistake. It took two days but it fouled the plugs and caused me a number of emails to Alfisti Steve and more than my share of frustration of not having a manual as of yet. My two cents is buyer beware.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seafoamed

A product for cleaning out carbon, etc. engines. Some people swear by it, and have little problems.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have run seafoam through two cars of mine with only good results, my E28 533i and my Audi Coupe GT 2.2. Basically you just start the car (make sure she's nice and warm), find a good vacuum line that can be disconnected without the car stalling, and stick it in the bottle of seafoam. Generally one enough starts making its way to the cylinders you have to manually open the throttle to keep the car running, and then the smoke show starts... Depending on the car you can get a steady little stream of smoke like in my E28 which was well maintained, or a huge plume of smoke like my Audi...

In both cases each car seemed to idle smoother, rev smoother, and get better mileage. After using seafoam in my E28 I was getting around 28mpg out of a 12v 3.2 liter inline 6!! Mind you, they were rated at something like 23...

I have not done it to my Euro spec 6 series and I do not plan on using it on my 164, since they are both rare beasts and both have high compression engines... Something about it just does not seem like a great idea.

FWIW: Sucking seafoam directly into the intake has a very similar effect to water injection used in turbo applications as far as engine cleaning goes. It basically just burns the carbon off of the pistons and combustion chambers. You can use regular (distilled) water to achieve the same effect, though it will take longer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good points

All good points. I simply put mine in the gas tank per instructions. I am merely pointing out my experience - obviously this are not hard and fast results as I am sure plenty of people have had fine results.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My friend used it in his 92 SVX, but he added it to his gas tank. He said that he has good idle and nice rev response, but only for a week or so, from then onwards he starts getting check engine light whenever he taps on the gas and it stays on until he took off his foot from gas (not sure if its due to tht seafoam stuff, but I would be think twice before using it in 164).

-Pavan

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
FYI: I "Seafoamed" my newly acquired 164 - you know just to clean the engine out. Mistake. It took two days but it fouled the plugs and caused me a number of emails to Alfisti Steve and more than my share of frustration of not having a manual as of yet. My two cents is buyer beware.

OK now that it is running better and Spider gone please change your signature to reflect 164 not 81 Spider.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Count on you

Thanks Steve - I can always count on you for your commentary - is this better.:cool:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,057 Posts
Nah, he had coolant everywhere so he thought he'd hydrolocked it. IIRC his fan switch wasn't working so it overheated.

I've used SeaFoam for decarboning into the intake in two cars with no problems. It's just a hydrocarbon blend. You can do the same thing by spraying water into the intake or having a professional spray decarboning treatment done (BG products has a kit that mechanics use).

Obviously there's always a risk of hydrolocking an engine when you pour any liquid into it, but if you do it right and go slow it's not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Thanks Steve - I can always count on you for your commentary - is this better.:cool:
Much better now KEEP this one for a long time. Even gtv682 has been gone for a longer time so maybe you need a new sign on name without any specific Alfa model in it maybe something like Rapid Turnover Dud!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Nah, he had coolant everywhere so he thought he'd hydrolocked it. IIRC his fan switch wasn't working so it overheated.

I've used SeaFoam for decarboning into the intake in two cars with no problems. It's just a hydrocarbon blend. You can do the same thing by spraying water into the intake or having a professional spray decarboning treatment done (BG products has a kit that mechanics use).

Obviously there's always a risk of hydrolocking an engine when you pour any liquid into it, but if you do it right and go slow it's not going to happen.
Exactly, but aren't you supposed to make it into a spray form?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,057 Posts
Well, that works best, of course, and that's what the professional BG system does. But as long as you pour slow and put it straight into the intake manifold the liquid pretty much self-atomizes from the suction of the engine vacuum.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've used it in my 164L when it was gummed up with about a gallon of dirty fuel. The car would buck and sputter when the tank got low but after one can of Sea Foam in the tank and it's been perfect for 18 months.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
I have told customers NEVER to USE any additives or cleaners in this car or any car for that matter. 95% of the stuff out there is a useless waste of money and can cause more harm than good.

No need to clean out the motor. I am sure if you pulled apart the motor it would be fairly clean especially using today's oils.

Sorry to hear you had a problem. My suggestion to all is to stay away from any additive. Use good oil and fluids and change when needed and there should be no issues, USE TOP TIER Gas and there should be no issues.

Ciao!
Jason

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,057 Posts
Generalizations are nice except when they fall down. Example: my father always used good gas and good oil in his Z3. Hell, he maintains cars better than just about anyone I know.

After 75K, it developed a lumpy idle for months. Mechanic recommended an in-situ injector cleaning (hook the cleaner line up to the fuel rail and directly shoot cleaner through the injectors). I was skeptical, but I swear it worked like a charm. Cost $100 but the problem hasn't come back.

My point is this: even with proper maintenance, sometimes extra stuff is necessary. Even with good fuel and oil you can wind up with injector and valve deposits (when I was at Amoco the fuel guys used to do constant engine testing for this very reason). Not to say that you should be throwing additives into an engine willy-nilly, but it definitely can help in problem cases.

Sean, if you want some plugs for the BG cleaner, try calling Bob at Import Doctors in San Ramon. He's got a ton of Alfa experience and has had very good results with it in problem engines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My valves are dirty.

Does anyone have a photo or diagram on which vacuum line to dip into the seafoam bottle?

1967 Duetto spider, carburetor.
You mentioned it worked in an Audi. Which vacuum line for the 1996 Audi A4 2.8?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts