Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I recently bought a 1600 gt junior.
I had a few small issues, one being wipers not working and blower fan.

I removed the scuttle grill only to find a high tide water mark, although dry it look like the wiper motor has been half drowned for a long time.

I took the motor out which looks to be dead or seized.

After scraping around the bowl area I eventually found the drain which was blocked and a hose with a kink in it. Cleaned out, new flex hose needed.
But there isn't much of the steel drain left, probably just enough to get the hose on.
Worse still I'm looking at the blower unit thinking what horror is behind it.... Any steel left :(

So is there a replacement scuttle bowl panel available, can't see one on classic alfa.

thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi Snips

Is this the part?

I can't recall seeing any replacement scuttle panels available from the usual suspects.

How about some photo's so that we can see the damage.

Cheers,
Wazza.

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Do You mean the plenum chamber, that houses the wiper assembly and drain etc ?

If so, I've never seen a repacement steel part.

In Europe many of them are at least pin-holed, leaking water into the cabin, as there's always a little bit that can't get down the drain hole.
Usual fixes are weld new metal in, braze pinholes up, or properly fibreglass the leak points with glass fibre mat and resin.

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Steve
Yes the plenum chamber, took the heater out last night, it wasn't connected to the water supply and the fan doesn't work, probably the area filled with water and dropped down in to the heater. The drain had a kinked rubber hose.
I'm in UK, it's an South african car, and the majority of the body work is good, had sill and floor repairs (not replacements) but I suspected it would.

But it's a really awkward spot, it's defo pin holed, and looks rough on the inside but may be solid enough to work with.

So I was thinking about cleaning it up and using por 15 silver. But not sure how I can paint under the wiper mounting bracket.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ouch. Same problem with my '72 GT Junior. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah actually the repair I did starts at post #175. The opening actually has a flare or beveled portion before the flange....that's why I had to weld this up in sections and not just bend it over.....which one could probably do for simplicity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts