Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we do exist. Try:
Home Page

Regards,
Sid
74 GTV
I have tried that over and over for 6 months...email doesnt work...I am not part of FB , but FB page has no updates recently ....like several months....
I saw your last Bluebonnet cruise pics ....and BTW my car group just had one this past saturday

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just tried again
, got this message:
mta1473.mail.ne1.yahoo.com gave this error:
delivery error: dd Sorry your message to [email protected] cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#102]. - mta1473.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bjorn,

Don't use the Yahoo Group address. Send an email to "[email protected]" or go to the website at "www.scuderiahouston.org". Next event is a tech session on May 17th, the subject has not been announced.

Sid
ok, thx, I guess ill try the "president..." as the website doesnt get me anywhere

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
finally made contact...also signed up for membership via AROC ....

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
I first entered the imported car parts market in Houston in 1972 as the parts manager for Southwest Motors - the Alfa Dealer at the time.

A few years later I heard the term "Scuderia" for the first time, as the name of a customer "Scuderia Cerveza". I assumed it implied what happened after one had enjoyed too many Cervezas the night before.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so Don, you may then know about my family ,since you were in the car businnes..my father was the original Volvo importer in 56 and sold out distributorship to Volvo in 67 ..had a M-B, Volvo excalibur dealership on Old Katy road (Memorial motors , nowadays Star Motor cars after it was sold to Glen Serrau)...and in 72 opened his new dealership on I10, Nils Sefeldt Volvo, later also Sefeldt Mazda ...which dealerships I ran 83-90....

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
I went to high school with Margaret Sefeldt. Had quite a crush on her, actually. Reminded me of Ingrid Bergman in her prime. She sat near me in several classes, but I was far too timid to try and get a date. Hope she's well. Definitely a class act.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I went to high school with Margaret Sefeldt. Had quite a crush on her, actually. Reminded me of Ingrid Bergman in her prime. She sat near me in several classes, but I was far too timid to try and get a date. Hope she's well. Definitely a class act.
My younger Sister...I will definitely tell her...she now is a grandmother to 2, lives in Maryland with her attorney husband , she breeds Labradors and shows them....she `s doing well...here a picture 1.5 yrs ago when we met up at Destin

was she driving her red Volvo P1800 to HS then?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the world is small! Wille ,in Sweden with his Duettos , knows my ex wife!

and Don , since I see you are into planes...did you know my dad was a pilot? he was a captain in the Swedish Air Force for years...flew all kinds of planes , raced them...and in mid 40s came to the states to learn helicopter flying , became Europes first helicopter pilot , and brought the first four Bell 47s to Sweden...taught the next 11 European heli pilots to fly.

Margaret was born in Sweden.

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Bjorn,

Thank you for the glimpses of the past. I don't know what Margaret was driving to school, but the parking lot of Memorial High was alarming by any standard. A P1800 would not have stood out against all the XKE's, Corvettes, AMX, Z28's, and GT350's, etc. There were TWO Excaliber SS being driven to school by students.

I never met your father, or anyone other from your family than Margaret. Didn't know she was born in Sweden, either. Small world, indeed.

I flew in two aerobatic contests in Sweden at ex-airforce bases. Wouldn't it be hilarious if one or the other was where your father did his work?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack folks. Just remembering my high times in Houston where the Alfa bug first infected me. I was part of a small group that founded the local chapter of AROC, and fondly recall a meeting where Tom Mankin was wielding an oxycetalene torch in someone's living room showing how to dismantle an Alfa transmission. Glad to read that Alfas and their owners are still gathering down there.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
funny.....yes one of those Excaliburs was my brother Michaels (a demo) ..there were also later several nice Porsches there (Don Mc Gills kids)..my father was at F11 ,Nyköping, early , then at F1 ,Västerås, where he was in charge of the Night flight division...he was also part of the crash team during WWÍI to check Allied and German plane crash sites.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I first entered the imported car parts market in Houston in 1972 as the parts manager for Southwest Motors - the Alfa Dealer at the time.
Small world indeed. I nearly bought a 4 month old green '72 Spider w/AC from there that a "little old lady" traded back in for a Berlina, but wound up buying a 914 instead. (don't ask)
That was one of the coolest places and I hung out there for quite a while drooling over the Spider's, GTV's, Citroen SM, and my one and only view on the showroom of a Montreal. They were very nice guys, letting me into the service bays to talk to the mechanics and I was even presented a small poster on onion skin showing the development of the Alfa Romeo Marque shield. I had that stored away for decades but somehow lost it.
Great place and time....

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Since we can assume those following this thread are mostly Houstonians, it might add some humor to note that when we moved there in 1965, Memorial City did not yet exist, and there was nothing West of Gessner Rd than prairie.

I had a summer job at Brown and Root over on Canal street. I10 was 4 lanes (2 per side) up to 610, at which point one had to drop down onto Old Katy Hwy into downtown, through the city streets, and out the Eastern side up onto Canal for the rest of the trip. I could leave our home in Bunker Hill Village at 7AM and be at work at 730, no problem.

Then, someone flushed Detroit and the town filled up.

·
Push hard and live
11,885 Posts
Montreal?

There was a Montreal at SW Motors? The first and only one I ever saw for a long time was down south of town at some guy's shop getting a tune up. In the early 70's a Montreal was verboten in the US due to smog, bumpers and who knows what else? I'd be very surprised if SWM ever sold a new one.

The SM was a very cool car, as well. The Triumphs we sold generated a LOT of warranty work, however.

Small world indeed. I nearly bought a 4 month old green '72 Spider w/AC from there that a "little old lady" traded back in for a Berlina, but wound up buying a 914 instead. (don't ask)
That was one of the coolest places and I hung out there for quite a while drooling over the Spider's, GTV's, Citroen SM, and my one and only view on the showroom of a Montreal. They were very nice guys, letting me into the service bays to talk to the mechanics and I was even presented a small poster on onion skin showing the development of the Alfa Romeo Marque shield. I had that stored away for decades but somehow lost it.
Great place and time....

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
There was a Montreal at SW Motors? The first and only one I ever saw for a long time was down south of town at some guy's shop getting a tune up. In the early 70's a Montreal was verboten in the US due to smog, bumpers and who knows what else? I'd be very surprised if SWM ever sold a new one.

Yes sir, a vibrant green one.(don't know the Alfa Color)
Don't know if it was for sale or just for show but I remember a very crowded showroom that Saturday morning, and waiting for a chance to sit behind the wheel, which was magical.:drool:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I grew up in Sweden and arrived first in Jan 68 , I recall 610/i10 intersection being built....I worked at the parts dept at Memorial Motors (M-B, Volvo, Excalibur) and drove out on I10 to Brittmoore , just past new Beltway 8, at 5 oclock traffic, took a picture of the road at 5.15 from my Volvo (also a P1800) going home past Memorial City....still have that picture...there were 4 other cars on the road!
and going out Westheimer past Fondren ,there was a two lane gravel road out to Fulshear IIRC, and out by Dairy Ashford I used to go rent horses to ride on the pastures (now apartment bldgs)

SouthWest motors , was that on Westheimer or West Alabame , close to Kirby?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Yes sir, a vibrant green one.(don't know the Alfa Color)
Don't know if it was for sale or just for show but I remember a very crowded showroom that Saturday morning, and waiting for a chance to sit behind the wheel, which was magical.:drool:
so Bill is from Houston also? Maybe when we cruise down to Corpus (I hope you got my email) we can talk more about 'old days'....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.