Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

helping scrap a 1993 164 twinspark and been reading up on the low chances of removing the front and rear screens intact. Am now considering removing the screens with frames intact, via angle grinder, and trying to do the separation of glass/metal at a later date when it can be done slowly. A silly idea?

In terms of glass removal tools, does anyone have any good/bad experiences for what type to recommend?

Thanks,

Richard

PS. This 164 is sadly beyond affordable saving as it has sat in a field for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
26,999 Posts
There isn't really a frame to cut out of car as it is glued into the body. The bottom of front w/s is a real challenge. Also cutting out sealant is a bear of a job because teeth on inside chrome strips gets caught up in sealant cutter blade.

I managed to remove rear W/S without breaking it but was not successful removong the front one.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There isn't really a frame to cut out of car as it is glued into the body. The bottom of front w/s is a real challenge. Also cutting out sealant is a bear of a job because teeth on inside chrome strips gets caught up in sealant cutter blade.

I managed to remove rear W/S without breaking it but was not successful removong the front one.
Steve,

can I ask what kind of tool you used to remove the rear screen? A few on the market but if you managed it OK it would be good to know what worked.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,999 Posts
Steve,

can I ask what kind of tool you used to remove the rear screen? A few on the market but if you managed it OK it would be good to know what worked.

Thanks,

Richard
I used Astro Pneumatic Tool company WINDK with 5 blades set similiar to this one on ebay:

Astro Pneumatic Windko Air Windshield Remover with 3 Piece Blade Set | eBay

Here are what the blades look like: Astro Pneumatic Windk 08L 35mm Serrated Air Knife Straight Blade | eBay

My kit came with WINDK-08E 57MM BENT (2EA) , -08F 90MM BENT, -08H 52MM BENT CURVED AND -08J 25MM FLAT NOSE STRAIGHT BLADE.

Here is kit I got:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I had a glass guy come to my house to remove the windshield from my old 91s and put it into daughter's Blue Car.

·
Premium Member
26,999 Posts
I had a glass guy come to my house to remove the windshield from my old 91s and put it into daughter's Blue Car.
I am sure that is the best way to go as they have all the proper tools.

Cutting across the base of the winshield was my downfall.

·
Registered
656 Posts
We are doing so.
I changed the glass in the spring, put the Chinese windshield, the price of glass and replace it $100. Chrome moldings could not be saved. They are glued under the edge of the glass. Put universal black plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'm with Rex, I'm not fooling with a glued in windscreen ever again. Been there dun that! Sometimes it's best to pay a pro. ciao, jc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts