Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my Sprint home when the I started hearing an awful squealing noise. I pulled off and it suddenly quit. I then noticed that the tachometer (early style Veloce) quit working. I later got the dash board off to see if it was a cable and looked down and it was working !!
I parked the car and did something else and tach quit working when I started it back up.

Couple of questions.
1) Anyone ever experienced this before?
2) Any recommendations on a repair shop for this unit ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
somer said:
Anyone ever experienced this before?
Yes, it's a pretty common problem. Lubricating the bushing at the rear of the tach will solve it - for awhile. Replacing that bushing / having the tach rebuilt is the long-term solution.

Any recommendations on a repair shop for this unit ?
Why don't you begin by telling us what continent you're on. Any gauge repair shop can fix this, but if you're in someplace like Antarctica, I'm not familiar with what shops are there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the South . Thanks for input.

Is the bushing located where the cable feeds in ?

·
Super Moderator
9,981 Posts
I'm in the South
I assume you mean the southern U.S. - I'm not familiar with the shops there, though other BB readers probably are. Here in southern California, North Hollywood Speedometer is the go-to place for gauge repair and restoration.

Is the bushing located where the cable feeds in ?
Yup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disconnected the tacho cable and the cable was turning while the engine was running . It appears the problem is in the Tacho head itself.
I'll put a dab of grease on there and see if that rectifies things. I have a later tacho head to stick intere.
Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was driving my Sprint home when the I started hearing an awful squealing noise. I pulled off and it suddenly quit. I then noticed that the tachometer (early style Veloce) quit working. I later got the dash board off to see if it was a cable and looked down and it was working !!
I parked the car and did something else and tach quit working when I started it back up.

Couple of questions.
1) Anyone ever experienced this before?
2) Any recommendations on a repair shop for this unit ?

Thanks
Somer, I have used MoMA Manufacturing in Albuquerque, NM for my gauges. They do several thousand a year. Ask for Joey and mention my name if you want

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
I disconnected the tacho cable and the cable was turning while the engine was running . It appears the problem is in the Tacho head itself.
I'll put a dab of grease on there and see if that rectifies things. I have a later tacho head to stick intere.
Thanks for replies.
Not grease, you need a single drop of heavy gear oil, like rear axle oil, the heavier the better, it needs to creep into the little brass fitting at the end of the tach and stay there while the end is spinning around... light oil tends to get flung around, the heavy stuff sticks around and does the job. Use a toothpick to apply it. 1 drop is enough, use a small screwdriver to spin the little end around while you are applying the drop.

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Exactly the same hapened to my '62 Sprint last year, although I haven' t rectified it yet.....would be interesting to learn how you fixed it up....
Dennis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts