Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the front and rear side windows out of my car and noticed lots of fine scratches in the glass. The rear quarter windows in particular. They're like someone had a dirty cloth when they were cleaning the windows.:( Is there any way for a backyard mechanic like me to somehow polish these out? I have a random orbit car polisher with a bunch of clean buffs if that will help. What kind of polish works on glass? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Eastwood makes a kit - I tried it on a car windshield that had a lot of pits. Didn't do a thing. Rule of thumb is if you can feel it, it's unlikely you can do anything about it. Careful on the type of polisher you use that it's not too agressive. The Eastwood kit I had contained a (tiny) disk that attaches to a drill.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=glass+polishing

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine told me to try something called "jewellers rouge" if the scratches aren't too deep. I can just barely feel some of them with a fingernail but I'm thinking that with tempered glass, it must be a bit harder than regular window glass used in a house for instance. Lowmileage,thanks for the tip on Eastwood. I'll check out their site.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A friend of mine told me to try something called "jewellers rouge" if the scratches aren't too deep.
I have used it before with good results. Fresh wool head either soaked with Brasso or with (fine) rubbing compound. Then hold rouge bar over buffer head to imbed in fibers. (Dont stay on one spot too long.):eek:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Fine scratches are removable.

However, as low mileage stated, if you can feel it, it's unlikely you can do anything about it.

In your case they are fine so it will work.

And by the way, have a plenty of carbohydrates or energy drinks beforehand, you will need them!

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts