Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got some absolute don't miss routes from New England to Lexington to do it in two days? I wish something like the Taconic went all the way!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I-76/I-70 is a nice drive through the mountains... From NJ, I always take I-78 to I-81 to I-76/I-70, then staying on I-70 to I-71 and ultimately I-75 that takes you right into Lexington... It's not as nice as the Taconic, but it is not bad, and certainly much better than I-80 and above. However, if you really want a truly beautiful drive, and like switch backs, then drop all the way down south past Baltimore to US-50, and take that all the way out to Ohio, where you can eventually catch I-71/I-75 to Lexington. From downtown Baltimore I used to drive south to US 50 and then all the way out to Cincinnati, instead of taking the logical I-70 route. It's a little over 500 miles. Very doable in one day, and most enjoyable if you are really into driving through the country and remote areas... (Google has a satellite feature where you can actually see the road you would be driving in real life...)

Best regards,

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was trying to avoid the PA Tpke I did it in the 70's regularly and never liked it. I'll probably take the southern route across NY to Jamestown/Akron/Parkersburg/Charleston/across to I75. There just aren't any NE/SW options

·
Registered
18 Posts
I-76/I-70 is a nice drive through the mountains... From NJ, I always take I-78 to I-81 to I-76/I-70, then staying on I-70 to I-71 and ultimately I-75 that takes you right into Lexington... It's not as nice as the Taconic, but it is not bad, and certainly much better than I-80 and above. However, if you really want a truly beautiful drive, and like switch backs, then drop all the way down south past Baltimore to US-50, and take that all the way out to Ohio, where you can eventually catch I-71/I-75 to Lexington. From downtown Baltimore I used to drive south to US 50 and then all the way out to Cincinnati, instead of taking the logical I-70 route. It's a little over 500 miles. Very doable in one day, and most enjoyable if you are really into driving through the country and remote areas... (Google has a satellite feature where you can actually see the road you would be driving in real life...)

Best regards,
x2 on picking up US 50 from Baltimore. Awesome roads, especially through West Virginia. The only change I would make is that once you reach Parkersburg, WV, you pick up WV Route 2 into Huntington, then take US 60 into Lexington.

Another good way from New England, and the route that I've used to go to New York City, is US 22 from Newark all the way to Cincinnati. It's really enjoyable pretty much the entire way. The drive can easily be done in two days. I'd probably overnight in Pittsburgh (which, if you take the route on the way back from the convention, the vintage racers at BeaveRun are the weekend of the 17th).

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the distance is 800 miles either way. I thought Baltimore was a bit out of the way but apparently not. I'll do one one way and the other the other... get it...... Thanks for the nav aid. Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts