Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some information about SCCA racing in the 1960's.
There were 3 classes I am asking about...G Production, F production and E production.
Most specifically engine sizes for each class.
Once this is determined I might have some more questions.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Others may have better information, but my memory is that the original SCCA classes were displacement based and almost pure stock while the later "Cal Club Rules" were more performance based; with faster cars with smaller engines competing with slower cars with larger displacement engines (and other allowances like fender flares, etc.). Cal Club was the California Sports Car Club, a rival to the SCCA until it became the Cal Club Region of the SCCA, and their rules philosophy was adopted for SCCA racing. So, after all that, I kinda remember that the change occurred in the 60's so the Alfas may have been in different classes before and after the rules change.

There were 3 classes I am asking about...G Production, F production and E production.

·
Push hard and live
10,893 Posts
I had a G-Prod Alfa in the 70’s, and worked for a fellow that raced in D and E prod. In this era, G-Prod was 1300 with 2-bbl Solex, F-Prod was 1300 with 2 Weber’s and I think 1600 (101) with Solex, E-Prod was 1600-1750, and D-Prod 2000.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information. I was thinking that G production was in 1300. I wasn't sure if F was 1600. The Alfa's sometimes ran with the big boys and outran the "lead sleds". I believe Dick Blizzards spider veloce ran in F production.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I think Don is spot on (although I’m not sure how things evolved over the later years). I raced a Giulietta with a 1600 & Webers in E prod “1600 Veloce”. At the same time my brother raced a Duetto with a 1750 also in E prod. In hindsight I should have put a 1300 in my car and raced in G or F prod. Although I could compete at the regional level I could not keep up with the MGB & Porsche 356 national cars.

looking back I am most intrigued with the later G prod cars (1300 with Solex). As the years went by I believe they were the last competitive Alfa in the production classes. They acquired all of the learned advancements of the other 750/101 cars and as the rules opened up in the 80’s furthered the racing technology of these series of cars.

-John

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
looking back I am most intrigued with the later G prod cars (1300 with Solex). As the years went by I believe they were the last competitive Alfa in the production classes. They acquired all of the learned advancements of the other 750/101 cars and as the rules opened up in the 80’s furthered the racing technology of these series of cars.
I agree to the extent that the level of performance was directly related to the creativity of the Solex preparation. I ran in F Production but was aware of the Solex preparation in G. There are rules in the GCR. HA!!

·
Richard Jemison
7,921 Posts
I had a G-Prod Alfa in the 70’s, and worked for a fellow that raced in D and E prod. In this era, G-Prod was 1300 with 2-bbl Solex, F-Prod was 1300 with 2 Weber’s and I think 1600 (101) with Solex, E-Prod was 1600-1750, and D-Prod 2000.

Joe Loccario`s 1750 ran in D production in `70 & -`71. After the 2 liter cars came about they were put in DP and the 1750s back to EP with a weight increase.

·
Push hard and live
10,893 Posts
I’ve always wondered where my car ended up.

In 1979 I traded my restored 65 Sprint GT for a G-Prod 1300. Went to two schools, discovered aviation, and decided between attractive young ladies, airplanes, and racing an Alfa, that I could afford two.

I sold the race car, with fresh engine, tires, and brakes, to a guy from Florida. I think his name was Fred.

Anyway, I heard later that he felt some chest pains, drove himself to the hospital parking lot, and that’s where they found him somewhat later. No more news on what happened to the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts