Alfa Romeo Forums banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
More mechanical restoration

Mark the bolt worked, thanks! And here's a picture of her fresh from the test drive with your old spoilers installed. I completed the driveshaft rebuild and rear engine mount replacement this weekend, and man what a difference new donuts make! So smooth I can't believe it. Drives like a new car! Important reinstallation tip: the center support bearing mount tangs are different lengths to accomodate the shifter housing. Pay close attention when reassembling! The bearing support will slide back on in either direction, if you reassemble incorrectly you will discover after you've reinstalled it that you can't reinstall the shifter housing! You'll have to remove the driveshaft, again, disassemble the two shafts, again, pull the spider yoke, again, reverse the center mount, and reassemble- reinstall, again! Well, at least that's what someone I know told me :eek: I also replaced the brake cable as it's readily accessible with the driveshaft out (picture). I've also been busy in the engine bay. Took a wire wheel and a drill and polished the cam covers, see the before and after shots. Those yellow plastic pieces riveted to the filthy covers were driving me crazy. Also pressed in new anti-sway bar bushings up front. That's all for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Car looks great!
And it sure is nice to hear it runs and drives soooo nice after all that work.......

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
why not an update

It's been almost a year, and I've been continuing to sort her both mechanically and cosmetically. I replaced the air horns with a factory air box and removed the cam cover cable throttle rig I inherited. Santa brought me a wooden shifter knob so I refinished the steering wheel again to a darker color. Swapped out the center instrument pod for a nice all-blue 150 mph version without the ludicrous Jimmy Carter 55mph you're-a-criminal-speeder yellow arc. I scored a stainless front bumper with very good overriders in Australia and will polish it up and install it soon. New fuel tank sending unit as well. 1,300 miles now since engine rebuild and running strong, Spring is here and she's coming out of the garage!

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jim,

It looks a treat compared to 12 months ago. After chasing all those parts 1/2 way around the world it looks like how it was originally meant to be. Possibly the only Italian, USA, Australian spec Alfetta on the planet. Make sure you post some pictures when you get the front bumper sorted out

Cheers

Gully

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Why not an update?

..It's been a few years or so. Taking advantage of some time off for the Holidays, I've pulled the engine in an attempt to reseal it as it was leaking oil badly- so much oil was dripping onto the exhaust that she was smoking at stop lights. So, out it comes. While awaiting parts I decided to address the gas pedal linkage and firewall pass through grommet; the grommet was completely shot, and the linkage was an under-the-carbs makeshift solution I came up with a few years that worked, but I was not happy with- a bit "Jakey" if you will. So out the pedal assembly came, I replaced the rubber grommet and I've welded up a throttle rod arm to the cross bar, eliminating the last of the metal brackets bolted high on the firewall to accommodate the long gone SPICA setup. I think the look is much cleaner and closer to an original European setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
After nine hours of exhausting labor I looked at her and said, "so, it is kinda neat looking, huh?" and she responded, "yeah. It's kinda cool."
God, I love this woman.
She's clearly after the Alfa ;)

Congrats on both.

Just to twist what a friend said - We like cars but we love women.

PS. just realized the thread is 7 years old and the Alfetta is looking awesome.

·
Registered
600 Posts
and more; my wife made the trunk interior and repaired the driver's seat, and we repainted the headliner. Except for the turn signals (still working that) all interior and exterior lighting now works, including the license plate lights, glovebox light and courtesy lights.

Is it an Alfetta GT with the GTV6 interior?

Looks like the carpeting is from a GTV6 also - I've never seen an Alfetta GT S1 with the (left) foot rest rubber pad, like on the latter series and GTV6.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Jim,

Good to see you have found some time for the "old gal" after being tied up with the spider for the last 3 years. The engine bay still looks incredibly neat & tidy. Have you had any issues having to chase up rust over the last few years whilst you have been busy on the spider.

Gully

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Thanks for the compliment Plasmid, yes, a PO also had a white GTV6 that had an accident, so he pulled the interior and installed it in this car, which was his wife's car at the time. It is so comfortable, and holding up well given its age and frequent use. The colors match the avorio paint nicely.
Hello Paul! I had a tough time working up the enthusiasm to pull the engine after 3 years of Spider restoration, but now I am glad I started this effort. No way to avoid maintenance as an Alfa owner. Thankfully, no rust has appeared ( yet :) ) since the repaint.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I ended up with the engine, transaxle, driveshaft, axles, deDion, hood, right side door, and a bunch of other pieces out of that wrecked GTV 6.... When you get ready to convert that Alfetta to Busso power, Jim.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Well, I would consider it but..

Swap out this engine? Not after discovering the initials of my first and last name stamped into the back of the cylinder head today while cleaning it. Anyone have any idea if this was done at the factory and if so, what these two letters mean? I suppose the local shop that did the head work for me a few years ago could have done this, but they are small and don't get many Alfa heads in. When I brought it in, they all gathered around it and stared at it like archeologists beholding a fossil.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Upper ball joints

Replaced the front suspension upper ball joints this past weekend...what a pain. The originals are attached to the upper control arm with steel rivets about 6mm in diameter, so the control arm assembly must come off the car, the rivet heads ground flat, then slowly drilled out using a drill press, two good sharp bits, and plenty of lube oil. Mounted the new ball joints with M6 x 1.0 bolts, nuts, and red locktite. All day job.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
"When I brought it in, they all gathered around it and stared at it like archeologists beholding a fossil." :)

Awesome place. I love it when the machine shop gathers. When I was in college, I was on a first name basis with the machinist at the local NAPA. Early sixties Pontiac heads (yes they are weird), 924 Porsche, Subaru, Alfa. I distinctly remember when he asked me "Why don't you ever work on a Chevy?"

Good memories!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
My wife pointed out a few weeks ago some rust was appearing around the edge of the original sunroof seal. In the spirit of continuous improvement, I removed the sunroof, removed the old seal and rear gasket, treated the bit of rust I found, replaced all the rubber, and reinstalled. I have a 'before' picture; when I can get it to email from my phone to my home I'll post it up. Anyway the old seal and rear gasket was hardened, shrunken, and yellowed. While it was out I touched up the headliner material and replaced the two foam sound deadening pieces under the headliner to avoid the dreaded yellow powder shower that is inevitable with old foam. I used this for the new seal, fits perfect, look good Item No: ELH-1135 [Gripping-Base PVC Door Edge Protection] and for the back rubber, I just grabbed something close in profile from the local Lowe's. A rivet must be replaced at each back corner to help hold the rear rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I wish mine had a sunroof. :(

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Ahhh, to be honest, when I buy my next new car (hopefully an Alfa sedan), I won't pay extra for a sunroof. I don't use the one in my Milano because it works and I'm afraid I'll break it. Ironic. But they are remarkably quiet when opened in an Alfetta, and because they are manual, very simple and reliable, so I do use the one in the Alfetta. Here's the before (well, actually, an "in progress") picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yup..I like the manual slide in the Alfetta/GTV6. Again, I wish mine had it. I use my Milano sunroof only sometimes. It does work..although I do need to help it start. It's binding on something at first roll back (the down action).

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.