Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At this point I'll try anything, broomstick it is! I will also continue to try repeated lurching starts once I get the CV joints cleaned, repacked, and new boots installed. They need immediate attention before I drive her again. Anyone know of a source for new CV joints? So far all I see available from the usual sources are the boots...What does everyone out there do if a CV joint is unserviceable?
Also, look at what my wife found when she drilled out the rivets in the front wheel well fender panel:eek: One ounce shy of two pounds of dirt, leaves, and sticks. What is even more amazing is that there was only minor surface rust in there. If you have not done so, remove these panels and replace the rivets with screws!
We found the drain hose inside, but where is the drain hose outlet?

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sometimes you can just let it idle in nuetral for about 15 mins or so, heat is usually enough to free up a sticky plate, it happens on my sud a lot...............

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks but sadly, no heat soup for me. The clutch being back at the rear of the car on the transaxle means no such assistance for me. Found the drain line hole, it was neatly sealed with mud paste. Also, the drain line itself was completely sealed shut with mud- must have been sealed enough to not allow water into the compartment, perhaps explaining the lack of serious rust behind there.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
What is even more amazing is that there was only minor surface rust in there.
What is amazing is another wife helping out with the car. Last time I changed the oil in the 164 my wife got sort of pissy with me because she wanted to do it. To her it's fun:confused:

Paul

·
Registered
519 Posts
My gf gets mad if I dont let her wash and vacuum the car. She gets mad if I get it dirty. She loves to wetsand panels and mix primer. She is already planning the next weekends jobs...........its a great life!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Alfa's in HK? You must stand out from the crowd GTVnut!
I can spot a classic car at a thousand paces, and all I saw was Toyota taxi's and mini-buses, with the exception of one original mini-cooper and one VW beetle - both on the same day.

Saw a few newer Alfa's in Beijing tho.

Jim, that dirt behind your fender is scary. I dropped a small screw driver down there while fitting my wiper motor last week. Hope I don't find what you found when I retrieve it.

-Col-

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Frozen clutch no more!

Completed the repack and reboot of the axles and took her back out on the street- four jerky starts in gear later she broke loose! Thanks all for the advice. Drives nicely, no clunks, no bumps, no thumps. Pressure washed the engine bay and wheel wells, and replaced the interior- now it's on to the body work!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
YEEEEEHAAAWWWWWW!!

Hang on to that steering wheel....I'll get that nut in the mail Monday!!:D

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
"cosmetics"-Italian for "rust"?

Remove the chrome trim anywhere you see any indication of rust seeping out from underneath. In the picture below, the black spot was our initial shot of spray rust converter, hoping to then just mask off the window trim and wing vent for paint. No way. After removing the windows and trim this is what we found. Seems the factory placed strips of plastic film over the seams before pressing the chrome trim strips into place to prevent rust. Bad call. It had the opposite effect, trapping moisture instead. Everywhere I look, if it's metal to metal, the rust is minimal or nonexistent. If the plastic film is there, it's a rust-o-rama.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I wish my "saved from the crusher" Alfetta ran like yours. I actually drove it once, (Oct 2006, sputtering and missing)....but since then, after messing with it for a couple weeks, it's been sitting in my garage. I think the fact that I've got SPICA and you started with carbs has something to do with that. Lucky you. <grin>

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks- and I agree, I got lucky on the start up and running. Although, in addiition to my numerous labor hours since bringing her home, I have spent about $1,600 renewing the brakes, clutch cylinders, fuel system, CV joints, tires, etc. The rear window seal alone was $240 shipped in from England. I must confess, if the car had Spica when I looked at it I probably would have not have bought it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
DOH! Of course, you mean, for your personal reserve, and not for sale. Please agree so I won't feel bad. Repeat after me: "Correct, the items I just mentioned are not for sale. I just wanted to brag a bit about having these in case I need them someday."

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Mark.... I gave you that for the Fetta project!!:mad:

Oh... or to sell to put shoes on the sticky kids feet;)

I'll try to show up on Thurs.

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Don't worry Paulie.....It's hanging in a place of honor in the garage!!:D

Where are you showing up on Thursday? Something I should know about??:confused:

Correct, the items I just mentioned are not for sale. I just wanted to brag a bit about having these in case I need them someday.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My wish list

All,
Thanks so much for your advice and assistance with a spare part or two to help me with this restoration. As I look around inside the car here's what I would like to obtain from any of you out there who may have these in 'good' shape:

-both left and right upper door post interior lights (both of mine are there but have crumbled apart in my hand)
-an original shift knob in restorable condition (mine is missing)
-the "clear" plastic cover for the fuse box (mine is broken, crazed, and has a melted spot)
-the three original horn button covers (these were completely missing)
-center console hazard and rear window defog switches (mine are present but severely faded and crazed)
-any period correct radio that would have come with the car, working or not (prefer not working to keep the cost low as I'll never repair it anyway- it will be a decorative hole plug)
-original hood release handle (mine was broken)
-steering wheel retaining nut (missing) (I think fetta78 may be hooking me up)
I will gladly pay you a reasonable price and shipping for any of the above in decent condition.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Oops I missed the meeting again. Hell Mark, I don't care if you sell it. It will put gas in an Alfa.;)

Jim, I may have a decent shift knob. I'll look.
I'll also look for a fuse cover. I should have a couple of GTV-6 covers and an Alfetta cover in the garage. I'll look in the next couple of days. I also have a full set of stainles trim foe a GTV coupe also.

Paul

21 - 40 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.