Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Alfa 164
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a parts car 164 that I will be using the engine and trans out of for my overall better shape 164. It seems a shame to rip everything off it and sell it off as I'd love to see the car live on. The floor panels are a little rusty but other than some rust and missing interior it is still together.
I was thinking of swapping in a Volkswagen or Audi 1.8t engine and using it for auto or rallycross.

This is all to say, does anyone have any knowledge of swapping in an out of 164 platform engine and trans? I assume I'd need custom motor mounts, figure out a spindle situation, and then the obvious ecu ect.

Or is it even worth my time and effort? Should I just let it die and strip & sell?
Thanks for any thoughts and sorry for the broadness and longwinded nature of the post.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Modern cars, even as old as the 164, are very difficult to swap in a new make of drivetrain. The electronics also need changing. For mechanical fit a SAAB 9000 drivetrain would be best since the engine compartments and front suspension configurations are identical. Nothing else would come close to fitting this chassis without a lot of work. How you'd transfer the necessary wiring harness bits and the ECU would be fascinating to know. There are more good 164 drivetrains out there than intact bodies to fit then in. I hate to suggest this but you should just look for yet another 164 wreck with a solid engine in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts