Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Her mom took her to neurosurgeon yesterday and he cleared her out of brace and, today to DMV to get her license renewed today as it had expired while she was in neck brace after she wrecked her 164B in Feb snow storm.

I thought my bride was to prevent Sara from driving a 164 because of wreck but her concern is/was still the fact that car is 20+ years old and always seems to need something fixed.

Compromise was made last night at family dinner. She can't go on an out of town trip in one by herslf. Until then she is able to use my 164B Originale or black beauty.

I remember same issue with my first wife when my older daughter went off to Va Tech 300 miles away. I had to take the Fiat Brava away and give her a newer Dodge Colt. She got a Milano once she graduated and came back near me.

Hopefully we will win a new Fiat 500 in August raffle drawing.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,050 Posts
Glad she's doing better, man.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glad to hear your daughter is better Steve. Neck injuries are never nice/easy to be sure they are 100% fixed:( I am about 7 years off having to deal with my kids driving thank goodness.

My biggest worry around kids/cars is when my two eldest boys [8 and 4] are out with my ex-wife in a car. In the last few years she has managed to be cautioned by the police for drifting across lanes on the Auckland Harbour Bridge [major four lane highway] and just this week was given a ticket for speeding...grrr...that together with the serious nose to tail she had with my sons in the car doesn't exactly engender confidence!

Aaron

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good news! Hope she recovers fully, both physically and psychologically.

I'd thought the whole 164 issue was about safety. Sure our cars might have a few things to work on when they're bought, but after a few months they're perfectly good.

Consider having one a lesson on home economics. Mine hasn't cost me as much as a new car, no matter how inferior the new car would be.:D

Anyway she'll need a car. I've seen a beautiful (red) 1600 GT Spider in town yesterday. Seems like collecting Alfas is getting more popular here: mine is the second 164 in town, there's another 75 new to me and this 1600.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Glad to hear Sara is mending up well. It takes a long time, doesn't it. Sharon sprained her ankle with a slight fracture Valentines Day. She just started her 2nd 12 therapy session after being in a boot for 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Excellent news Steve! I imagine she needs to keep working on her recovery so best of luck with that.

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear Sara is mending up well. It takes a long time, doesn't it. Sharon sprained her ankle with a slight fracture Valentines Day. She just started her 2nd 12 therapy session after being in a boot for 6 weeks.
I hope she is mending well, too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad all is well. When my son turns 16 I think the fastest car he will be getting will be something like an old Mercedes 240D. Maybe I will eventually let him have my BMW 524TD (in 1985 it was the fastest production diesel in the USA, which is not saying much).

·
1991 164L
27,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snow and ice were more of an issue than being in a 164 I would like to think.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm back home, and it's a Monday. It's cold and wet. The usual problems at the office, more Excel work to do. Despite that, I headed to my garage. A pool of gearbox oil under Joe's 164, a high idle speed, an engine oil leak. A jammed door, and a faulty door-open switch after the door was opened from behind the trim. No food in the fridge. A $400 phone bill. A $1000 insurance bill...

Then finally some GOOD news for the day, about Sara - I'm very relieved things are working out for you both.

As for the reliability thing - my own old blue 164 continues to be trouble-free and it drives so much smoother than Joe's. His looks better but seems to have a thousand problems, not very rewarding to work on. I'm beginning to think that some 164s are just better than others. I'm sure after all these years you'll have no difficulty with making that judgement, should the need arise...

-Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts