Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Final weekend of the Neptune Festival in Virginia Beach always draws a crowd for sand sculpting contest. We took these pictures from the boardwalk:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sand Castles part two

Moving on down the line:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moving on down the line

Some more:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More entries

Moving on down the line:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enough already?

Final sand shots from VB. with the local talent contest underway.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
wow, they are unbelievably beautiful!! Still kinda sad to put so much time in something so short lived....but I guess that's the whole point!
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Sand Castles on the Right Coast

Hi Steve:

Beautiful....glad to see that the wrong or left coast is not the only one that participates in this sport; Seal Beach has an annual sand sculpting contest. It's a lot of fun to watch, but as another poster indicated, short lived as the tides come in and all that hard work is washed away; a reminder that life comes full circle, for some of us in shorter increments than others.

Not to answer the question about how the castle spires are maintained. I'm not sure, but they sculpt with very damp sand so it may stay as it dries as opposed to not having all the sand damp and having to dampen it yourself.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know but maybe they use moouse (sp) or hair spray like stuff. The tide nver comes in that far to wash them away unless we have a noreaster or a hurricane. Our surf is mild compared to left coast. Somedays we call it Lake Atlantic when without a ripple. I like it like that.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I don't know but maybe they use moouse (sp) or hair spray like stuff. The tide nver comes in that far to wash them away unless we have a noreaster or a hurricane. Our surf is mild compared to left coast. Somedays we call it Lake Atlantic when without a ripple. I like it like that.
In Seal Beach they build a sand burm to try and contain the incoming tide, but it doesn't always work. In the last several years the tide has exceeded the burm and rolled down into the local streets flooding shoreside homes and making the local streets difficult to navigate. I have relatives that live a block and 2 blocks from the beach, so one of the drawbacks to beach front property.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My neighbor(s) go each morning in hopes that the surf is UP. Somedays it actually is if we have a southeast off shore breeze. Still I like the right coast and my daughter's surf board sees much more time in garage that at the shore.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So steve, when are you going to build a sand castle of a 164?

Don't think I can do that but I would like to preserve and bury a couple of parts cars in the back yard if I COULD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts