Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the 2.5 V6 (ar01646) in the gtv6,75,90 is a longitudinal engine
while the 2.5 V6 in the 156 and 166 is a transverse engine
i am planning to swap the 156 2.5 V6 engine into a rear wheel drive ,so i was wondering,
i)are both the engines the same as in build?(except for the 12v and 24v difference)
ii) and can i use the transverse 2.5 V6 in the 156 as a longitudinal engine?(is it as simple as just turning the engine around)
iii) or should i just swap the transverse engine and change the rwd car into a fwd?
iv)or i should just swap the V6 longitudinal engine from the gtv6,75,90 etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don’t mean to sound like a jerk but why would you convert a RWD Alfa to FWD. just go buy a FWD Alfa! Yes the later engine can be used in RWD applications but will need some basic changes to go into the Milano/RWD chassis.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Sure, there are lots of threads here about putting a 164 engine in a GTV-6 or Milano. Unless you are not in the states, there's got to be an easier way to get your hands on a 2.5L, most want the 3L engines. Does alfa parts exchange in California not have any 2.5's?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t mean to sound like a jerk but why would you convert a RWD Alfa to FWD. just go buy a FWD Alfa! Yes the later engine can be used in RWD applications but will need some basic changes to go into the Milano/RWD chassis.
you misunderstood me😂
i am trying to convert the later V6 engine which is lateral into a longitudinal engine😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, there are lots of threads here about putting a 164 engine in a GTV-6 or Milano. Unless you are not in the states, there's got to be an easier way to get your hands on a 2.5L, most want the 3L engines. Does alfa parts exchange in California not have any 2.5's?
so you mean it is POSSIBLE to swap the later V6 engine(lateral) into a rwd car(longitudinal),just that is requires a lot of work?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Sure, I will even do the work for you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think you are in Malaysia. Yes it is possible to put the Engine from FWD into earlier RWD chassis, without too much trouble. Lots of documented builds on this here in the USA. Lots of details but done many times as @vintagemilano points out, for you or a builder to follow. You will have to decide how you want to do ignition and fuel.

I guess it’s not clear what you want chassis to put the 156 2.5 into.

as per your questions iii) and my prior comment, it would be a HUGE engineering job and then install/fabrication to convert a RWD into FWD, magnitudes more difficult. Would probably be cheaper and faster to import several very nice RWD cars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure, I will even do the work for you.
Thanks alot😀😁i will check it out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are in Malaysia. Yes it is possible to put the Engine from FWD into earlier RWD chassis, without too much trouble. Lots of documented builds on this here in the USA. Lots of details but done many times as @vintagemilano points out, for you or a builder to follow. You will have to decide how you want to do ignition and fuel.

I guess it’s not clear what you want chassis to put the 156 2.5 into.

as per your questions iii) and my prior comment, it would be a HUGE engineering job and then install/fabrication to convert a RWD into FWD, magnitudes more difficult. Would probably be cheaper and faster to import several very nice RWD cars!
Hmmm.....ok😁Thanks for the advice😁i will take that into consideration😊im trying to put the v6 engine into a Rx-7 btw😂😂fan of the alfa romeo engine but a bigger fan of the JDM exterior looks😂

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hmmm.....ok😁Thanks for the advice😁i will take that into consideration😊im trying to put the v6 engine into a Rx-7 btw😂😂fan of the alfa romeo engine but a bigger fan of the JDM exterior looks😂
You're going to have to engineer that from ground up. Most experience here is converting FWD V6 engines into 75's, GTV6's etc. That is, Alfa RWD chassis that have existing V6 options. In your case I'd seek out a local engineering shop with experience in engine transplants generally, not specifically Alfa's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're going to have to engineer that from ground up. Most experience here is converting FWD V6 engines into 75's, GTV6's etc. That is, Alfa RWD chassis that have existing V6 options. In your case I'd seek out a local engineering shop with experience in engine transplants generally, not specifically Alfa's.
All right, thanks😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts