Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a GTV with a "salvaged" title.

Any thoughts as to how much less it might be worth if fully restored?

Maybe making it a daily driver should be the limit?

From what I gather there is no way to get the title cleared?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
20% to 30% less than a comparable car... I would not suggest you try to treat it as a collector car, but there is no reason why it cannot be a street car to enjoy to the fullest. And if you ever turn it into a race car, then the salvage title will have little to no effect on its value.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
The California DMV has instructions for how to re-register a car with salvage title on this web page. You may need a safety inspection certificate to get it done.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Salvaged Title -Value

I recently acquired a GTV with a "salvaged" title.

Any thoughts as to how much less it might be worth if fully restored?

Maybe making it a daily driver should be the limit?

From what I gather there is no way to get the title cleared?

Thanks!
In California, once registered as a salvaged title, it is always a salvaged title. I'm not sure if registering it out of state would clear the title; California has closed many of those loopholes. One that has not been closed TMK, is if a car is not registered for 5 years it drops out of the system and has to be inspected to be registered. I don't know if they'd pick up the salvaged title that way from out of state. IMO, that is not honest either and if found out later could create liability issues when discovered if the car were sold as a restoration. Yes, the value is less...many people will not buy a salvaged title.

I agree with the others, if made into a race car. no effect at all; it is not a car you would want too restore and sell for value, you'll never get your money out of it. Good as a daily driver or your own collection.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
I had no problem with buying back a "totaled" Alfa (my GTV6 hit by a motorhome and deemed totaled by the insurance company), and having it fixed, then later selling it for market price. It does have to be checked out by the WSP after repair, but once okayed, we had no problems with anything. Have done this twice, the GTV6 and another time with an Alfetta sedan. With these Alfas, there being so few of them relatively speaking, the potential buyer will pay market price if the seller can present the repair papers showing how and why it was repaired, esp if photos have been taken of the repair process.

The problem of course is that insurance companies are really quick to total an older car for almost no damage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the suggestions

I think it's a shame there isn't a way to get the "salvaged" title removed

The body/ frame are perfect... from what i gather it was stolen years ago and not recovered until after the insurance had been paid

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
The body/ frame are perfect... from what i gather it was stolen years ago and not recovered until after the insurance had been paid
IMHO I am not sure a salvage title is really much of a negative once a car reaches a certain age and is restored.

I would certainly much rather have a car that is 100% restored with a salvage title due to a theft recovery than one with a clear title that was restored from a rust bucket.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Salvaged Title - Value

IMHO I am not sure a salvage title is really much of a negative once a car reaches a certain age and is restored.

I would certainly much rather have a car that is 100% restored with a salvage title due to a theft recovery than one with a clear title that was restored from a rust bucket.
Joe,

I agree with your premise in this case, if the theft and recovery has been adequately documented and is bullet proof. sbantle's choice of words in "from what I gather" does not indicate that the theft and recovery has been documented.

I own and have owned several salvage titled vehicles, but it does take a knowledgeable and accepting buyer to know the facts, and in California, that no matter how concourse, it will have a salvage title forever. I still stand by that the money spent on restoration will not be able to be recouped without a clear title unless and until you find that one buyer who accepts that his purchase will never have a clear title.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a really good idea.

I wonder if there's a way to document (through Police records) that the car was in fact stolen and then recovered? They might even have damage documented?

Wishful thinking perhaps

You would think the DMV would have to know the reason the car was salvaged?

Thanks for your help!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts