Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Salvage Title Help

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  motorinoman 
#1 ·
A few years back I purchased a 87 Spider in Canada with a salvage title. The car had been purchased and brought over from Pennsylvania about 15 years prior and sat. I managed to work on the mechanicals and now am turning to the body to cut out and remove rust but before I go any further I found out to pass Type 6 structural inspection I need to have the insurance quote stating the repairs needed from the situation that branded it salvage. I don't know who the insurance company was and it was years ago. I really don't want to part this car out. It is a father son project and I would really like to return this car to the streets. Any advice?

#3 ·
Was the salvage title declared in Canada or the states? If it was imported as a salvage title vehicle, there is not much you can do, unless you get creative with paperwork (out of province registration, etc.). However, if it was declared a salvage while registered in Canada (check CarFax, CarProof, etc.), then you can plead with your local provincial registration office and/or your Type 6 inspection licensed body shop to give you a pass on missing insurance report. Requirements are usually not as strict in real life as they are written on the official websites. The branding and rebuilt title registration process is intended for late model vehicles to prevent inadequately repaired major wrecks from ending up back on the roads. Things are a bit more relaxed for classics in my experience. But your mileage may vary, good luck.

#4 ·
Gentlemen, thank you so much for your prompt replies:)

I ran the Carfax and it shows it was declared salvage in the US and title was transferred to the insurance company (the name wasn't stated). When it was imported to Canada the salvage title remained. GTV6noob, thank you for your help and advice, at least I feel a little more confident my baby will one day roam the streets of Toronto. I'll definitely try what you said. Thank you.🙏

#6 ·
Someone imported it as salvage, registered it in Canada as such and then just sat. I'm sure it was trailered here as mechanically it needed some work. The body shell shows no signs of damage(I've looked all around and inspected body line gaps). The only thing I can visually see is that the nose was dented and the undercarriage may have hit a curb as the pan protective cage was cut and removed but the rear most section remained on the cross brace. Other than that, the typical rotted floors.

#7 ·
I think this is what you need to know. Taken from Mandatory vehicle branding program – FAQ

Q9: Can I legally drive an "Irreparable" or "Salvage" vehicle on Ontario roads?
No. Vehicles branded as "Irreparable" can never be driven on Ontario roads. They can only be used for parts or scrap.
Vehicles branded as "Salvage" can't be driven on the road, but they can be towed for the purposes of repair or receiving a Safety Standards Certificate. If you want to drive a "Salvage" vehicle, it must be upgraded to "Rebuilt." This can only be done if it has passed a structural inspection and safety inspection to be registered for on-road use.

Q10: How can I change the brand on my vehicle from "Salvage" to "Rebuilt"?
To make sure your vehicle meets minimum safety standards, it must pass an inspection and be issued a Structural Inspection Certificate (SIC). You must submit the SIC and registration permit to a Ministry of Transportation licensing office. Once accepted and approved, the "Salvage" brand will be changed to "Rebuilt."
Once the "Rebuilt" brand is placed on the vehicle registration file, you must obtain a Safety Standards Certificate from any Motor Vehicle Inspection Station so the vehicle can be declared "fit." The vehicle may then be plated and legally operated (once it has been provided with a Drive Clean certificate, if required).

#9 ·
I think this is what you need to know. Taken from Mandatory vehicle branding program – FAQ

Q9: Can I legally drive an "Irreparable" or "Salvage" vehicle on Ontario roads?
No. Vehicles branded as "Irreparable" can never be driven on Ontario roads. They can only be used for parts or scrap.
Vehicles branded as "Salvage" can't be driven on the road, but they can be towed for the purposes of repair or receiving a Safety Standards Certificate. If you want to drive a "Salvage" vehicle, it must be upgraded to "Rebuilt." This can only be done if it has passed a structural inspection and safety inspection to be registered for on-road use.

Q10: How can I change the brand on my vehicle from "Salvage" to "Rebuilt"?
To make sure your vehicle meets minimum safety standards, it must pass an inspection and be issued a Structural Inspection Certificate (SIC). You must submit the SIC and registration permit to a Ministry of Transportation licensing office. Once accepted and approved, the "Salvage" brand will be changed to "Rebuilt."
Once the "Rebuilt" brand is placed on the vehicle registration file, you must obtain a Safety Standards Certificate from any Motor Vehicle Inspection Station so the vehicle can be declared "fit." The vehicle may then be plated and legally operated (once it has been provided with a Drive Clean certificate, if required).
Thank you for taking the time to search that. I appreciate it however I did see this previously. The issue is when I go to get the inspection done, they tell me I need the original insurance quote stating the repairs needed to submit to the MTO.☹

#8 ·
If it was already registered before in Canada with the salvage title, then what is the issue now? Canada obviously cleared the salvage issue previously. But I'm not Canadian...but I did drink a Moosehead once...

In the US, most cars that are "totaled" or branded salvage are for minor damage that because of paint & bodywork costs and cost of OEM trim pieces far exceeds current market value. Often has nothing to do with structural or safety issues. Simply the car is not worth the cost to cosmetically repair.

#10 ·
If it was already registered before in Canada with the salvage title, then what is the issue now? Canada obviously cleared the salvage issue previously. But I'm not Canadian...but I did drink a Moosehead once...

In the US, most cars that are "totaled" or branded salvage are for minor damage that because of paint & bodywork costs and cost of OEM trim pieces far exceeds current market value. Often has nothing to do with structural or safety issues. Simply the car is not worth the cost to cosmetically repair.
I agree and firmly believe the salvage title was because of the cost of parts/trim pieces. What a situation 😒 I'm determined to save her.

#13 ·
In the US, (it is my understanding) each state has it's own laws regarding motor vehicles and their registration. Here in Pennsylvania, a vehicle (and it's title) can be branded salvage if it is stolen and recovered even without any body or mechanical damage. If the car was titled in PA, perhaps contact PA and, for a few $$, perform a title search. This may help you. Here is the website: www.dmv.pa.gov I live nearby the PA capitol, Harrisburg, and the main DMV office. I am also a PA licensed Inspection Technician and thus able to verify VIN numbers, etc. and sign such documents. PM me if I can help. Might be moving to Canada, depending on what happens in Nov.

#14 ·
In the US, (it is my understanding) each state has it's own laws regarding motor vehicles and their registration. Here in Pennsylvania, a vehicle (and it's title) can be branded salvage if it is stolen and recovered even without any body or mechanical damage. If the car was titled in PA, perhaps contact PA and, for a few $$, perform a title search. This may help you. Here is the website: www.dmv.pa.gov I live nearby the PA capitol, Harrisburg, and the main DMV office. I am also a PA licensed Inspection Technician and thus able to verify VIN numbers, etc. and sign such documents. PM me if I can help. Might be moving to Canada, depending on what happens in Nov.
Ok great! Will contact the DMV in PA and see where that goes. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.