Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to throw this one out there - my trunk lid has ED. The torsion bars appear to be in the notch furthest aft (which best I can tell gives the most twist to the two bars?), but it begins a slow descent as soon as you lift it. Is this a common problem and does anyone have a fix?

Don

·
Super Moderator
12,281 Posts
The torsion bars just lose their spring tension with time/use. Does your '86 spider have a spoiler? That would add weight to the trunk lid, aggravating the problem (Alfa probably didn't beef up the torsion springs when the spoiler was added).

I don't have an easy fix (other than to carry a broomstick in your trunk). I'm pretty sure that no one is re-making trunk torsion springs.

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
The notch closest to the front of the car is the least amount of tension.

A set of tension bars from and 82 or earlier car should work well as they had the least amount of weight on the lid.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All, thanks for the replies!

Dom, I'll look at it as soon as it's back from the shop. I've looked under there and all seemed OK, there is no noise when you open the trunk, so I don't think either of them are actually broken.

Alfajay, I suspect you're right, they're probably just tired. I do have a spoiler, yes.

Jim, correct! My bars are both in the rear-most notches.

I'll post if I come up with a suitable fix!

Don

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Don,
a couple of used torsion bars on fleabay at this time, from an 86 (it'll be pot luck if they are any better than what you have...cheap enough though!---# 221609847153)

I wonder if one can get something like this "re-tempered" like you can a spring?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking the exact same thing myself - if they could be "re-tensioned" that way. Not sure it would be worth the cost, and I agree, a used set of those won't be any better than mine most likely. Would prefer a more modern "shock" solution, but I don't have any welding skills. Another option might be to extend the lever mounted on the trunk lid by an inch or two. I'll play with it when it gets back from the mechanic. Getting a full suspension rebuild!

Thanks again!
Don

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excuse me. I have to go slap myself. ****, that's a good and common-sense idea, I should have thought of it. I believe they *are* symmetrical, but will look when I get the car back. (If it works, I'll probably complain about them having *too much* lift!)

Thanks for the great suggestion, Osso!

I can't remember if there is a left and right spring. If they are both the same, won't swapping left for right and vice versa do the trick?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts