Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao, Bon jour and all that,
Not for the first time I bet a question has been asked about a sagging rear of Alfetta GTV's. Lots of advice and parts to lower the car but I just would like it to stay original. I have found there are standard rear springs of the AFTER MARKET type for 1984 to 1986 but the supplier can't tell me if they can be used on a November built 1983 GTV2000. If anybody can tell me of the OEM part number for the springs I need it would be appreciated.
I have replaced all the donuts and centre support bearing as sourced from Chris at Highwood Alfa UK and have had the prop shaft assembled and balanced before refitting. As before with the old donuts the rear new donut looks distorted in a stretched fashion.
Apart from the car drawing comments about being down at the rear I thought that given the centre support bearing fixes the prop shaft (tail shaft) at the mid point and the gear box/diff being displaced downwards due to weak rear springs it may cause misalignment and donut distortion.
It would be nice if I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Neverthe less I'm not making any head way till I sort out the correct rear springs to go hunting for, so if anyone has some info on original Alfa rear springs part numbers or advice it will be a start.
Regards, Geloso.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
My Fetta sags in the rear also, but I believe it was done on purpose in the U.S. to have the headlights at a required height. I've lowered my front end on 2 of my Fettas, could be an option. Don't believe that has anything to do with the donuts. If there is no vibration then the drive train is OK. Old donuts take on weird shapes. They must have been at least 30 years old if original. Never had to change Springs in an Alfa, Maybe the Shocks are worn, but again never had changed those either. You can try these guys if you want to change them.

OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH
Alfa-Service

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Rear springs

I thought that given the centre support bearing fixes the prop shaft (tail shaft) at the mid point and the gear box/diff being displaced downwards due to weak rear springs it may cause misalignment and donut distortion.
Since the transaxle is bolted to the body the rear springs have no effect on the alignment of the drive shaft. I would loosen the front Dedion mount and the rear transmission mount, then tighten all the guibo bolts and push the transaxle forward so that the driveline is not pulling on the guibos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ciao, Alfarules,
Thanks for your quick response. Re the head lights I have just installed relays for the lights and believe me my GTV has sagged in the rear so much that I have run out of adjustment to bring the beams down. I'm starting to think that the guibo's sold to us now are source from manufactures that depart from original design and specs.
If I get the correct standard rear springs the hope is that lights and height of the rear will be sorted. I will put the car up on a hoist and measure inside spring dia etc and send them of to a suspension manufacture along with I hope I can find ie OEM part number of springs.
Wish me luck.
Regards Brian.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ciao, Alfaguy35,
Thank you for your response re Transaxle position and alignment of drive shaft and guibos.
I will put my car up on a hoist and after taking measurements take your advise. I will also find out the inside and outside dimension etc of rear springs and send them off to a suspension manufacture along with when I find it the OEM part number of rear springs for Nov built 1983 GTV2000. It may be to get the correct measurements a rear spring will have to be dropped out.
Regards Brian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts