Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the many years that I have owned my Alfa, I have always used ramps when I needed to get under it. I recently discovered that by using (front) ramps when I change my gearbox oil, I have been overfilling the transmission. Next time I change the tranny oil, I intend to jack up the entire car and put it on 4 jack stands so it will be level.

Here's my question. When using a hydraulic floor jack, is it okay to jack under the differential when raising the rear of the car? I have always done this on my Japanese cars and trucks which have all had one piece steel rear axle assemblies. The Alfa rear axle looks more fragile with its bolted together aluminum center assembly. I plan to use a wood or rubber block to protect the cooling fins on the differential cover but I am wondering if putting the entire weight of the rear of the car on the differential housing will do any harm? If this is *not* the proper way to lift the car, I'd appreciate knowing how it should be done.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
It won't hurt the car. My 94 was up on the jack last weekend to get a better look underneath her. We used to do this to the British cars we owned also.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Do be careful not to have the jack protrude into the differential. Note that you don't want anything going into the circular portion... The base of my jack is wide enough so that this won't happen, and it has a rubber protector. Plus, I use an old folded towel on top of the jack base.

Differential (compressed).jpg

Best regards,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sounds like it is not a problem. I will be sure the load is evenly distributed over the bottom of the differential cover plate.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Agreed. Is that your car, Enrique?
That is "Raquel", my '84 Spider... :) Only problem is that to keep the undercarriage this clean, I can only drive behind the noisy street cleaning vehicle - in first gear! :mad:

Pentax 542 (compressed).jpg

All kidding aside, it's this clean because I took these pics right after the undercarriage was cleaned this past September. I have it cleaned once a year, 'cause I do drive this car. I logged 8k mi. this past year...

Best regards,

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would eat off of it :D

One thing you can do to keep the differential nice is to use a piece of wood with a hole in it (to go over the plug hole). Ghnl helped me make mine and it has been a major help.

Andy

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
One thing you can do to keep the differential nice is to use a piece of wood with a hole in it (to go over the plug hole). Ghnl helped me make mine and it has been a major help.

Andy
I should do this... I think it is safer than anything else...

Zungie:

How/where do you get it cleaned?
This was done on a lift, by hand, using degreasers... If you want the name of the shop that I use in northern NJ, please send me a PM.

Best regards to all,

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I just look at my undercarriage and get dirty.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts