Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a lonely Montreal that has been sitting in the front yard of this guys house for I don't know how long, not having been moved once or the cover replaced when it had become worn.

The owner was confronted 20ish years ago by my father when he noticed it one day sitting there looking very neglected, he talked to the owner to find out what he could about the car, knowing exacting what it was from the shape under the cover and what it was worth at the time, but not knowing why it was there and what the owner was doing with it. My father offered him $5000 at the time in Australian dollars so around $2500 usd (oh yeah this car is in Australia not many came here and to put that price into perspective he had only just bought a 1983 Alfetta coupe in perfect condition for around the that price), not a lot for the car really but it was not in great condition then and needed fair amount spent on it to get it sorted. The owner was not interested, instead saying "that I want to keep it to restore it". My father continued to approach this guy a few more times over the years before becoming frustrated and forgetting about the car. Lets now jump 20ish years into the future, and yes you guessed it it is still sitting in the same place with the same cover, albeit torn to pieces.... This time it was my turn to try and prise this car away from such a thoughtless heathen. I was able to look at the car and see that it was all there, nothing seemed to be missing expect that the body was completely ruined, the stainless trim that curves around the back of the car was floating in mid air along with a fair amount of the rear window, the Turbina wheels which were ok but not great and were starting to sink into the ground and it looked like plants were starting to grow through the car. The car was on a hill, so water couldn't stay under the car for very long but going by what the upper-body looked like, it would have been completely F'ed. The interior of the car was all there but with 7300ish sunrises and sunsets that I know of, the interior had taken a lot of punishment, this was concentrated to all the parts the sun could get to with its fiery fingers. After leaving my number with his PARENTS!!! (this is where he lives and the car lives, so hes about 50ish and living with his parents and been, for the last 20ish years!!! Getting the picture) a couple of times, I received a phone call from him, he told me he had lost my phone number, mummy must have thrown it out when she was cleaning up HIS ROOM!! Anyway back to the story, I asked him if he was willing to sell the car, actually I ask if i could remove the scrape metal from his front lawn, saying that was all it was worth these days as the car was so far gone. He told me that he did not want to do anything with the car as the car meant something something something to him. I don't know what he said as I had turned off by then and was thinking this guy is not of this world. Other things were said in 40 minute call but you get the picture this guy wasn't going to let this car go no matter what, well money will probably move him, eventually, but I really don't know what it is worth is this state and not going to waste my money on getting it.

I would really love to put the engine into an Alfetta. I think this would be a great engine conversion, but it could be F'ed and then what, I would have wasted my money on a ornament, granted its a great ornament to have in your garage but I would rather spend money on my Alfetta race car, or buy a nice GTV6.

Any thoughts? What are parts worth, I know a fully stripped, box of bits Monty sold for around 20'k here but that had a usable body.
And no I'm telling anyone where it is...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The story gets a little blunt at the end, now that i have reread it. I don't just want the car to strip it and make money off. It just it makes me so angry to see such a car wasted like this, I would love to have a car like this and would spend good money on one if I had the chance, so am looking at what is the best way being life back to something that has been completely wasted. I was able to read your comment Craig_m67 before you/it was removed, I think you were right in what you to some degree but what would you do in my situation?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Sadly it's his car and he can do anything he wants with it, or nothing at all. Understand the frustration but really you probably just need to let it go. Sounds like the owner has.

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport. 2019 Stelvio ti Lusso.
1,553 Posts
Such a sad story. Your frustration is evident in your postings. Books can be written about cars like these. We've all seen them from time to time, going back to the earth in which they came. It really is a shame.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I removed my post. It was not moderated

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Not far from the house I grew up in there was an MGA deep in the back yard getting no attention at all. I tried many times to buy that car over my teen and early 20s years. The answer was always the same, "someday I'll do something with it". Life carried me away from there. Many years later on the last trip home to relocate my parents closer to myself and my brother I drove by the house. Still deep in the back yard there was a small clump of trees and tall grass, in and amongst which (and probably through) I could make out the the dark brown rusted remains of that MGA. Sadly for it, someday seems to have never arrived.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Sadly it's his car and he can do anything he wants with it, or nothing at all. Understand the frustration but really you probably just need to let it go.
Exactly, the owner may enjoy the fact that he has something that you and perhaps others want but can not have. Time to 'move on'; the car will be available when it is time to settle the estate (or perhaps pay the taxes -Hint). Almost certainly you can find a much better example in nice running condition for a fraction of what it would cost you to restore the rusted out 'yard art'.

If it were a rare and priceless example, like a friends 250 California that sat 'rusted' out for 35 years; it would be another story! It only took 15 years and $700K to 'fix it up'.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts