Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....sad to report that my beloved '82 Alfa Spider is history, I think. I just got it back from 4 months in the paint shop, and after refurbishing it over the past 6 years....with the help of many of you. You helped with injector seals, head gaskets, clutch pivot arm, electrical issues, smelly trunks...the usual Spider maladies written about many times in this BB. Most recently, trying to get the weak brakes to work stronger.

Tonite, a young man texting on his phone rammed into the back of me. Smashed it pretty good. Pushed in the bumper and rear left panel into the rear tire.
Surprisingly, the light lenses didn't crack, the trunk lid didn't buckle much. But the console flew apart, the dash dismounted. But THE BRAKES HELD!!!

See before and after pics.Awaiting calls from the insurance company...but I fear the worst. I might have several parts available soon.
:cautious::cry:

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,527 Posts
It is fixable, but not if you go via your insurance company ... it is easier and cheaper for them to write it off.

If your car was pulled by a professional on a chassis machine it would be nearly fixed. So I'd get a quote and reconsider getting your insurance company involved.
Pete

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bummer,
Not just because of the wreck but because of the texting. I just junked a 82 last year with front end damage, if you get the body pulled out and straightened as mentioned by PSk someone on the BB probably has a parts car available. Check what resources are in your state, there are several.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Heart breaking for you I am sure. I get nervous anytime I am in town traffic with mine.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Wow, that's a bummer. Looked like a beauty. Do you have collector car insurance on it with an agreed value?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do have collector car insurance with guaranteed value. It should cover the majority of my costs... and the knowledge and fun/frustration is my own bonus.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Oh my! Im so glad that you're alright! I hate seeing this damage on the car because I know it was a good one that you've put due effort in. But more importantly you walked away!!!

I agree with the others, it can be fixed its just a mater of how you want to deal with the insurance and the $ but it can be done. The frame can be pulled and straightened and the panels can be pulled or cut and replaced. Its not a Kia but its not a box of ashes either

·
Administrator
12,527 Posts
Yes I do have collector car insurance with guaranteed value. It should cover the majority of my costs... and the knowledge and fun/frustration is my own bonus.
Oh, that I hope will be good.

While not a collector car, I deliberately only have Fire, Theft and Third party insurance on my Alfa 156v6 because even if it got the most incredibly minor dent, they will write-it-off. After all this is how I ended up owning it, a previous owner bought it from a write-off sale because it needed a new boot lid basically. Insurance companies don't play with foreign and old cars IMO. They consider getting parts just too hard and expensive ... my wife worked for years in an insurance company. Might as well say McLaren F1 when you say your Alfa Romeo has been hit.

Even when my GTV is completed, I will consider just putting $100 a month into a savings account in case I ever need to fix it.

Pete

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss!! I know it's a heartbreak. I just rescued an 86Q that had been center hit in the rear. She now has bilateral crinkles over the rear wheel wells and a slight hump in the middle. As I look at her, I'm thinking...if we could get her on a frame puller, I bet we could make you look better, If you find a capable frame puller I'd appreciate a heads up. I winter in AZ and summer in VA so travel isn't a big deal. Wishing you the best!! Paul

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow it’s no fun to have your car hit after you just got done restoring it. I had some lady ran into the side of my spider. The insurance company totaled it and gave me the value of what it was worth. I had it repaired for half the price. The good news is Alfa Part exchange or as we know it as ape Will probably have a quarter panel for you. Keep us updated on the repairs.

·
Administrator
12,527 Posts
I reckon once pulled it will only need a replacement boot lid. Everything else will pull back into place

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
Thats what the car is designed to do. I've seen many over the years hit like that. A good body shop with an older frame guy that knows what he is doing. Can pull it out.

It looks like he hit more to the left then center. If hit center they usually just bend downwards evenly on both sides. Your is going to need the left rear quarter panel and probably the center panel. Maybe a deck lid.

Look at the back of the car see if the right side is moved over to the left some. If thats the case still fixable but more difficult pull.

·
Administrator
12,527 Posts
Left rear quarter panel will pull straight. No need to replace.

My brother-in-law, a qualified panel bearer always said: Rather buy a crashed car than a rusty one. East to fix with the right gear
Pete

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I agree the fix is very doable... Just a comment.. I would ask the shop who ends up doing it for an opinion on the thickness of the paint on the car. I have seen many expensive jobs that have so much feather-fill on the car the look of the car is compromised.. Feather-fill is nice to get small imperfections out but layer upon layer upon layer turns the car into a rolling piece of porcelain and actually takes the sharpness of the side flutes of the car, for instance, muted. I have seen this on BARE METAL restorations ... so going to bare metal isn't a guarantee the applicator isn't piling the fill on. Keep this narrative in mind. I have seen so much feather-fill on crashed cars to be over 1/8" thick .This is a case where more is not better. Who is your insurance company? and what is the texter's insurance company saying?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Left rear quarter panel will pull straight. No need to replace.

My brother-in-law, a qualified panel bearer always said: Rather buy a crashed car than a rusty one. East to fix with the right gear
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My S4 Spider was attacked by a Chevrolet Tahoe a few years back. The left rear panel damage was not nearly as bad as yours, but it was wrinkled at the wheel opening and end and the body shop chose to replace this and the rear panel instead of "sculpturing". Glad to hear you have stated value insurance, I bought Hagerty after my incident and after the other driver's insurance adjuster told me if a repair is over 75% of a vehicles value it must be totaled. My repair was $8500 and I showed the adjuster several S4 ads with values sufficiently higher to not total the car.

After someone hit my wife's VW we were confronted with the 75% rule and could have done the "totaled - buyback- self pay for repair" process and come out ahead but the car would have had a salvage title and our daily driver insurance company would not insure this.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,973 Posts
The best approach is to gather all of your receipts to show how much you spent fixing the car up. Any of your own personal time should be included at a reasonable rate. Make copies of everything and send them to the guy's insurance company. Tell them that you expect them to fix your car to the same standard it was before their client hit you.

They might decide to total the car in which case you can buy it back. But, you can always try and fight them.

You also have a right to hold the other driver responsible for any financial loses. This is fair and reasonable. If the guy was texting and it is documented on the Police officer's citation, the court will more than likely be on your side.

Don't forget, the time that you take to take care of this can also be considered a financial loss.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Very sorry to hear.

Hope you can repair it and bring it back to the beautiful car it was before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to see this, really hope you get it back on the road. Mine suffered a similar fate 12 years ago, got hit at both ends and was written off. I got a fair pay out and bout my '72 GT Junior with the funds. I then saw it advertised 2 years later on ebay. Someone had bought the salvage, done it up badly and was selling it on. I managed to win the bid on it very cheaply (less than half the insurance payout) and my father still owns it. Happy ending!

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
glad to see you got it back...kinda a round about way...how badly did they do the repair and were you able to get it right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts