Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a 164 yesterday with what looked like a Saab 9000 SPG spoiler.
For those of you who don't know what a SPG spoiler looks like
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/425000-425999/425459_4.jpg
I know the Saab 9000 is dimensionally similar to our 164 so their spoilers would fit on our cars but this looks a bit out of place. I think the hatchbook on the 9000 makes such a big wing flow better...
what's your take?
Ted
91 164L

·
Registered
209 Posts
:eek:eeewwwwwww,, no way..I mean i wouldnt do it, a little to big in height,,not sure if its long enough to sit correct on the 164 trunklid. Stock S spoiler is much nicer and compliments the car without the overboard look.
My opinion go with a stock S spoiler or go with the plain zender spoiler.
good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
It would be nice if they could make the S/Q spoiler in a lighter version. But yes, the spoiler pictured above isn't the nicest I have seen.
They do, it is called a Zender or Lester spoiler. ;)
I like the OE better but to each their own. Not my taste but I cannot say for sure either without seeing it on the car.

BTW I may have a zender S/Q spoiler, maybe....

Jason

·
Registered
326 Posts
I saw a 164 yesterday with what looked like a Saab 9000 SPG spoiler.
what's your take?
Ted
91 164L
It's kind a waste to put a 9000 Carlsson/Talladega spoiler on a 164 because it is rarer than a stock S spoiler.

I think 9000 SPG is a misnormer. In Europe this special edition is known as the Carlsson or Talladega. Below is a link of my 9000 with Carlsson kit:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2318867

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
They do, it is called a Zender or Lester spoiler. ;)
I like the OE better but to each their own. Not my taste but I cannot say for sure either without seeing it on the car.

BTW I may have a zender S/Q spoiler, maybe....

Jason

Is there something that you are not telling me?

·
Registered
503 Posts
yiminlu - nice saab, glad to see another saaber out there, and hay glad to see a fellow canadian eh! were you able to get that car in canada, or just bought the kit, i thought us people accros the pond never got the carlsons,

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys.....aside from being an Alfa junky, I am also a Saab junky. Just as an FYI....there is no such thing as a Saab 9000 SPG. Only Saab 900 SPG. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
all i can say is you know you are a SAAB junky when the local indie shop calls you for parts? not sure if i should be proud or not:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saab 9000 Carlsson/Talladega/SPG??

Now I am curious (and confused). What is the difference between the Saab 9000 Carlsson, Aero, and Talladega? I thought the Carlsson is the same as the Aero and Talladega except it was only sold in the UK. How rare are these cars and that spoiler? Anyone have production figures. Wikipedia says there were only 129 Carlsson sold in the UK. Was it ever sold in the US and Canada?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Now I am curious (and confused). What is the difference between the Saab 9000 Carlsson, Aero, and Talladega? I thought the Carlsson is the same as the Aero and Talladega except it was only sold in the UK. How rare are these cars and that spoiler? Anyone have production figures. Wikipedia says there were only 129 Carlsson sold in the UK. Was it ever sold in the US and Canada?
Sorry for turning a 164 space into a 9K for once:

My info is that some 200 units of the 9K Carlsson were sold in UK only, between maybe 1988 - 1990. The next generation 9K Aero began in 1992, and in North America, 1993. Between 1990-92, there was a minor facelifted 9000 special edition, same as the Carlsson but renamed to Aero. It has the 9000CD headlights and grill, so the front bumper is different than both the 80's Carlsson and the post-92 Aero.

The 9000 Talladega is the official Swedish name for the special edition between 1988 and 1989 I think. It is in celebration of the 9000 victory in the Talladega long march and identical to the Carlsson in UK.

In US and Canada, something similar to the Carlsson or Talladega was sold in 1987-88, but without a special designation. They're just called the 9000 Turbo, same engine rated at 175hp ( the Talladega had 200+ hp setup )

Appearance-wise, there was an even more aggressive-looking 9000 in US/Canada than the Carlsson: it has bigger wheel arches, lower door caps all around; the Carlsson has smaller fender flares, and no door caps. Both have big wings, the one with arches and door caps is sometimes called the "9000 Airflow." I saw a few of them in the Toronto area.

That big spoiler is VERY, VERY rare! much more desirable than the subtle post-92 Aero wing. Saab junkies will kill to get that 80's huge wing. I sold my 9000 with the Airflow-type kit but a bent valve, still I got very good money because buyers wanted that kit so much. When I said it's a waste to install a Carlsson wing on a 164, it was an understatement: you can sell that piece and buy TWO S spoilers to fit perfectly on your 164 deck!

The difference between a stock old 9000 and one with the Carlsson or better still, Airflow kit is ENORMOUS. Plus those arches are a quick solution to Saab's notoriously rusty fenders...

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
good write up... don't forget to mention the Griffin Edition...... only available in the US one year and still available in other parts of the world.....
i guess since i have one i am a little bias

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taste for the obscure and exotic

Thanks for that excellent explanation. I see that your attached images of the old Yoroi armors. Is that your hobby as well. I am really into those thing. Got a lot of books and so very tempted to buy one except the wife would not allow it! I definitely know a few Alfa owners who are are current or previous Saab owners. I guess we Alfa owners have very similar taste...

·
Administrator
11,940 Posts
BTW the Alfa 164 and the Saab 9000 share the same floor pan, so not surprised the spolier would fit.
http://www.is-it-a-lemon.com/used-car-history/alfa-romeo-164.htm said:
The floor pan was shared with three other cars: the Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Saab 9000.
Pete

·
Registered
503 Posts
yes all i need is the lancia thema to complete my collection.... now i just have to wait long enough to imprt one with the detuned ferrari engine.... now that would be cool :cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Another Alfa-Saaber

'93 9000CDE and '91 "S". Winter and summer rides. Both black on charcoal leather. Also drive an '82 RX7 but that's another story...

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
nice combo, i like the black on black, i have a green saab and a red alfa i guess i have a christmas theme going on.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts