Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my S4 going on a year. It's a sunny day, garaged car, and yesterday was the first time I had the opportunity to use the wipers (fast moving Florida shower). Two things I noticed are:

1) they are not parked as low as they should be (this was obvious without the rain storm but now it's bugging me)
2) the wipers stutter as they go across the windshield

I assume 2) just means it's time to replace the blades. Any recommendations on blades type? They are 16".

For 1) I assume that if I pull the arms, I can re-seat them so they park lower on the windshield. Is that correct? In any case I am faced with removing the arms. There's no visible nut holding them down. I'd appreciate any and all advice on removing them without damaging the cowel (or worse). On re-seating, is there a trick to forcing the arm onto the spindle so it doesn't come off?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
No problem. There's a flip-up cap on the wiper arm where it attaches to the drive spindle. Raise that cap and you'll see a hex nut. Loosen the nut, remove the nut and a washer, and then raise the wiper arm up off the glass. At that point, you can either wiggle or gently pry the arm up off the splined drive spindle. Make a visual note of where the arm is on the spindle, because you only want to move it one or two spline teeth. Relocate it downward a tooth or two, and re-fit the arm securely down onto the splined shaft. If you approve of its new position, then replace the washer and nut, tighten said nut securely, and pop the cap back down. That's it.
As to the shuddering jerky wipers, yes clean your windshield completely with an auto glass cleaner, and replace the blades.

Reactions: PJ Jumonville

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
in fact you cannot raise the cap all the way with the arms on the screen, to get access to the nut
you need to raise the cap till it stops and then raise the wiper arm off the screen at the same time.......this allows the cap to then open fully to get a wrench on that nut.

Apply a little antiseize to those splines when replacing....just makes it easier the next time.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hey thanks Dom... I had long forgotten about that little detail!

·
Registered
458 Posts
It’s also a good idea, after adjusting them, to lift the wipers off the glass and turn them on and off while they are elevated. Then drop them back on the windahield to see where they parked. Saves running the blades over a dry windshield.

As I recall, the plastic caps and retaining nuts can be removed with the wipers down, it‘s just that the wiper arms cannot be removed from the splines without popping the arms up. They must, of course, still be in the sprung up position to reinstall.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
All the above recommendations are spot on in my experience

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I have used 16" blades in Bosch, Rain-X, Michelin.

They all seem to be the same.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I have used 16" blades in Bosch, Rain-X, Michelin.

They all seem to be the same.
Yep, I do not have a preferred brand. THey all seem to work and they all seem to last about the same length of time.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Frankly, I've not noticed much difference in the life and performance of good old ANCO blades versus the hyper $$ blades. If your windshield is clean then they all will do the job.

Reactions: pantera928

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Frankly, I've not noticed much difference in the life and performance of good old ANCO blades versus the hyper $$ blades. If your windshield is clean then they all will do the job.
Ditto!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,594 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced those new beam-arm wipers are just marketing. They look good on new cars that are designed specifically for them but that's about it.

They don't work any better and you can't just replace the insert on them so they're a lot more expensive over time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP here.Thank you everyone for your insights. I am traveling and will put these wipers into proper repair when I return home. Happy Thanksgiving!

PS I put an S4 shop manual on my Christmas wish list. If any of you are selling yours, message me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP here. Flipping that piece of plastic up was a piece of cake. I could not however remove the arm from the spindle after removing the nut. The arm was loose though so I moved it into position and reassembled. Seems to be fine.

I'll pick up new 16" blades tomorrow. Based on comments on this thread and another, doesn't matter too much which brand I buy so I'll go with what autozone has in stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts