Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Hi Guys sorry if this has been posted before but i have a problem with my S4 It is turning over fine but there is no spark, hence not firing. I had the breakdown people out to look at it as i was stranded in some god forsaken 3 thumb town. They said it was the ignition module (ECC) or crank centre sensor. I looked in my manual at the fault diagnostics and cant find anything remotely similar. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
494 Posts
These cars have stand alone Electronic Ignition. The sensor is in the distributor.

check the distributor pick up, it has a magnetic type sensor. If it isn't the pickup, check the coil or the ignitor.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
First thing to check is the air hoses going across the top of the motor from the air flow meter to the intake plenum. If these come loose, the car will not run.

Is the check engine light on the gauge cluster illuminated? The 91-94 spider has on board diagnostics. The computer is behind the passenger seat beneath the partial shelf. The computer has a button on the side facing the side of the car. Depress this button and count the code it gives you.

The timing sensor itself is on the crank pulley on the front of the motor. You could get an inductive timing light and hook to the plug wires to see if any of them are sparking. Obviously, spec the coil. Could be just that simple.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I assume you have searched the BB for other info on this topic but, a local Alfisti had S4 starting problems and his solution might work for you:

"Yep, that's how it occured, George. One time a hard start, then no start. I was working with the four relays under the rear shelf. When I substituted a standard plug-in relay off our van for the fuel pump relay, the car started. The S4 owner has to be wary though, when substitute checking those relays, because two of the four are DPST type, with respect to the output terminal no. 87. That is, there are double no. 87 terminals for double loads off the relay, so if you try to substitute a standard SPST relay, one of the output circuits in the plug-in connector won't be energized. Luckily, the fuel pump relay is the SPST configuration. Spare for both types is a good idea. While I was in there, I treated the plug-ins and the relay terminals with Stabilant 22 to enhance the connections."

In diagnosing the problem, the first thing I noticed was the lack of a hum from the pumps when I turned on the ignition. Unlike the L-Jetronic cars, the S4 Motronic Spiders energize the fuel pumps with the ignition key ON to pressurize the system for startup. I briefly confirmed spark and required voltage, then went on to the relays and pump wiring under the rear shelf behind the seats. BTW-there is no inline fuse back there for the pumps on the '91 and later cars, something much discussed (and improved on) on the earlier cars.

Dangerousdorris said:
:( Hi Guys sorry if this has been posted before but i have a problem with my S4 It is turning over fine but there is no spark, hence not firing. I had the breakdown people out to look at it as i was stranded in some god forsaken 3 thumb town. They said it was the ignition module (ECC) or crank centre sensor. I looked in my manual at the fault diagnostics and cant find anything remotely similar. Any ideas? :confused:
Good luck, please post any progress...

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
One simple thing that needs to be checked is the Rotor button, which is glued on and has to be broken off when replacing and reglued to eliminate float. And the distributor cap button that touches the rotor. Also the Engine Grounds on the head, and check the coil wire and coil.
If the check engine light flashes when turning over the engine, it is the start relay under the rear shelf. There is also a Fuse or two under the shelf access panel.

All suggestions are good so far. Does the front pully pickup go bad like on the Ljets flywheel pullys do?

Good luck

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Stan Murray said:
All suggestions are good so far. Does the front pully pickup go bad like on the Ljets flywheel pullys do?

Good luck
Not that I am aware of.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had this same problem - everything checked out - coil, voltage, crank sensor, etc. Car cranked, but no spark. It was a transistor in the ECU. Replaced ECU, car started perfectly.

Not saying this is your problem - check everything, better yet, if you can find an ECU, try that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts