Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a timing mark anywhere that will give me TDC on my '91 Spider? Couldn't find a pointer on the water pump or anywhere else. I need to rotate the crank back and forth to look for a little piece from the timing chain tensioner that I lost. Is simply putting cylinder #1 back to it's highest point sufficient? I started out with the cam marks in alignment and #1 piston was up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. My pointer is missing. Must be in the same place as my cam chain tensioner part. Anyone know the thread size so that i can pick up a bolt on the way home and make a pointer out of it?

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I don't think the pointer is screwed in. I think its installed with some sort of adhesive. If you don't have one, I am going to bet that the PO broke it off so make it easier to re install the water pump.

If you are going to use a bolt, you can use whatever you like as long as you put the same thread in the hole to receive it.

Here is a picture of the pointer itself. On the right is the original water pump with pointer and the left is the new pump. You will see that the new pointer was a lot taller than the original. So tall I couldn't install as is, so out came my trusted dremmel and I ground the tip down to the same as the original.

IMG_7143.jpg

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Vin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts