Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I really need some advice.

I am in the process of changing my steering wheel to a Nardi. I followed the forum and used a puller. The puller snapped the mounts off.

Now I am stuck.

I have tried using the screw holes, no success. I have sprayed PB Blaster and tried the hammer trick on the column trick.

Neither of these worked. I am at the point of either destroying the existing wheel or returning the Nardi.

I really could use some advice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I dont have a solution, but have a couple basic questions:
Is your car a 92 Spider?
Did Alfa change from a tapered and keyed column in earlier cars, to a splined shaft, right?
Of course, you removed the nut on the shaft.

Regardless, keep hitting it with an oil penetrant. It's surprising how that stuff will seep and creep into the stuck area over days, and then it will suddenly break free, like "...hey, what's the problem??!!".

I likewise can't visualize what the "mounts" are. Are you referring to the hooks on a puller?
Using the screw holes is the way to go, at least on my 72 with tapered shaft. I put the screws under high tension, sprayed in Break Free (IIRC); at some point after that, there was a loud bang, and voila, the wheel had popped off.

So stick with it and dont destroy the wheel.
Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I replaced the wheel on my ‘91, went from airbag to wood. I used a normal puller but used special ace hardware bolts that screw into the wheel. Always keep the center nut on the shaft while using the puller, or you can damage the column threads.

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
me too, not sure what you snapped off.........got a photo?

sometimes leaving the puller on overnight, real tight (PB blaster and tightening it up a little each hour or so) and in the morning you find the wheel has popped.
(yep, leave the bolt on the spline or you might mushroom it and that's it then!)

worse comes to the worst, the S4 has a UJ joint on the steering shaft just above the pedals;)
disconnect that airbag......even after 30 years they should still work!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I pulled the threads out of my wheel trying to pull it on my wood spider wheel so I tapped them up to 1/4" fine thread and was able to remove my wheel with my steering wheel puller. These things can be on there pretty good.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I pulled the threads out of my wheel trying to pull it on my wood spider wheel so I tapped them up to 1/4" fine thread and was able to remove my wheel with my steering wheel puller. These things can be on there pretty good.
Good move. Way to go to solve it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I broke off one of the two "holes" in the 12 and 6 o'clock position. For some reason I can't figure out how to post a picture.

I'll keep at it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/Users/peter/Desktop/steering wheel.pdf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
/Users/peter/Desktop/steering wheel.JPG

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the photo. The thing still won't budge

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picture
steering wheel 2a.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Guys, I don't know what I would do without you! I have used this puller, PB Blaster and CRC Freeze I still won't budge. I have even tied to knock it off with my hands and knees. Its still not going any where

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
steering wheel 2b.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok what happens when you keep going here? I used an electric impact wrench to get it off. The first time I tried it I didn’t have long enough bolts and I pulled the first few threads out of the wheel holes. I ended up getting longer bolts and thankfully had enough meat left to pull it off. Make sure to keep the nut on the end of the shaft but loose. You’ll hear a huge pop when it comes off

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tip. I have to tap the screw holes next

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have an earlier year but was able to tap with 1/4" fine thread and hit on the top of the steering wheel puller to kinda shock it with a hammer pretty forcefully and when it loosened up a little bit tightened down on the puller and hit it again with the hammer and repeat if needed.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have an earlier year but was able to tap with 1/4" fine thread and hit on the top of the steering wheel puller to kinda shock it with a hammer pretty forcefully and when it loosened up a little bit tightened down on the puller and hit it again with the hammer and repeat if needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts