Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry to bother you with such a stupid tech support, but my sider is being _most_ unhelpful!
I'm replacing the ugly airbag steering wheel with a nice wooden Momo item. The problem is that the standard item seems to have welded itself to the column. I have used a proper puller screwed into the appropriate parts of the (aluminium) chassis of the wheel. But all that happened was that the treads pulled straight out (damned aluminium!) After that I drilled through the wheel and put nuts on the reverse side of the wheel, but it still won't budge, despite _serious_ torqueing!
Any ideas? Anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance,

Ed.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I don't have a s4 Spider, so I can't really tell you anything from experience... Nonetheless, you may want to try a search, since I have seen this topic discussed several times. Here's one thread that you may find helpful: Steering Wheel Removal.

Best regards,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies

I don't have a s4 Spider, so I can't really tell you anything from experience... Nonetheless, you may want to try a search, since I have seen this topic discussed several times. Here's one thread that you may find helpful: Steering Wheel Removal.

Best regards,
Doh! I feel like such a dunce. I had previously searched for any related thread and found nothing of interest. Of course time passed, I found the right wheel, found the time etc. etc. etc. Tried the job and never looked for that more recent thread....
What a clutz!

Ed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
ive heard that S4 spiders are simply not capable of wheel-removal, at least compatibly with a 3rd party wheel due to the airbags.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,059 Posts
Nah, the vendors will tell you that for liability reasons, but you can get a hub that works. I've seen plenty of S4 Spiders with wood wheels.

That being said, I rather like the idea of having a working airbag.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wooo-hooooo!!!

Nah, the vendors will tell you that for liability reasons, but you can get a hub that works. I've seen plenty of S4 Spiders with wood wheels.
And you can count mine amongst them :D

That being said, I rather like the idea of having a working airbag.
Ah, there be the rub, indeed. Question is, I guess, was mine really working before. A PO had disconnected both the warning light and one of the inputs to/from the bag :-( They had also put the wheel back on crooked (and it's a poxy looking wheel at the best of times)

Anyway, many thanks for the help, it turns out that tightening up the puller pretty tightly, and then whacking it with a mini lump-hammer a couple of times did the trick :))))))

Happy days.

Ed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts