Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many posts on this "simple" modification over the years, but I am unfortunately stupid. Hopefully my stupidity will aid others in the future...

I have the starter relay diagram pictured below.

1. The diagram shows pin 30 connected via a fused wire to the "starter terminal where the main battery connects." Yet another widely referenced post says to connect pin 30 to a 12v source, "best place being the junction box by the brake MC" (which I assume is the terminal box with heavy gauge red wire on the driver side inner fender wall in front of the power steering fluid reservior pictured below, however this is on the opposite side of the engine compartment).

2. Then after I clarify this minor issue, there is the bigger issue that I can not see my starter and solenoid. I got a glimpse of it once from below on a lift, but the various posts suggest that the job can be done from above in the absence of fat hands. I reached down and took a picture (below) and see what may be the solenoid and starter but what looks like possibly the solenoid has 2 terminal posts with no wires attached (just an "L" shaped metal pin which is appears to be bare) and what looks like possibly a starter terminal below it has only a single black heavy duty wire attached. Is this even the solenoid and starter?

So....
Which is the best place to attach from pin 30? 30 amp fuse in the wire? Fuse closer to relay or 12v source?
Does anyone have a picture of the solenoid and starter with their wires attached (and maybe even labelled, remember "for dummies") so I can figure out what I am looking for (specifically the trigger wire and where the main battery cable connects)? Are these wires mounted with nuts or are they pull off plugs? Can the job be done from above or only from below?
Thanks for your patience!

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,455 Posts
...but I am unfortunately stupid.
No, a truely stupid person would barge right in amd totally muck things up.

I got a glimpse of it once from below on a lift...
And that lift is still available... I am off Thu then have to work Fri & Sat. I am home Sun & Mon.

I reached down and took a picture (below) and see what may be the solenoid and starter...Is this even the solenoid and starter?
Your picture does show the starter (bigger thingy) and the solenoid (smaller thingy).

Can the job be done from above or only from below?
Yes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
different levels of stupid, trust me, I'm on the 12 step program to total stupidity but seem stuck at the "merely ignorant" level according to my wife. I graduated "dense" a few years ago and aspire for complete "moronic ineptitude" in short order. I'm pretty sure you have (or will) disconnect the battery before you dabble with this stuff. I'd love to show up as well on 3 Nov but it's a long trip from here in N. Italy but it sounds a hoot. ciao, chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome Eric
You name the time and maybe we'll round up a few more mechanically challenged Alfisiti.
Thanks
David

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mission accomplished. Thank you Eric/ghnl.
And for anyone still confused in the future, the diagram in prior posts is a bit misleading in that terminal 30 does not necessarily attach to the starter terminal, but rather the 12v+ junction terminal on the opposite side inner fender (pictured in my original post).
Hardest part is getting the solenoid trigger wire off and then back on by feel, even from below on a lift.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,455 Posts
And the stupidest part was forgetting to take any photos of the nice cars. Joe's awesome red roundtail & David's beautiful green 'Commemorative Edition'.

Richard stopped by later with his magnificent Milano. (Apparently when I said 'after lunch' I did not take into account his odd eating habits.)

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
thanks for the post.

Now, David, in the above photograph i see a huge "no no" for any alfa spider owner:)

I "think" from that photo you have not yet attached an emergency cable to the hood latch......!..........U gotta get that done now........it will eventually snap, and then, as the old Fred Astaire song goes, "there may be trouble ahead........":)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,882 Posts
Mission accomplished. Thank you Eric/ghnl.
And for anyone still confused in the future, the diagram in prior posts is a bit misleading in that terminal 30 does not necessarily attach to the starter terminal, but rather the 12v+ junction terminal on the opposite side inner fender (pictured in my original post).
You can set it up either way. The disadvantage of using the opposite fender junction terminal is that you've got a long wire that you need to run, and this increases both voltage drop and opportunities for the wire to be damaged at some point.

The starter +12 stud gives you a shorter, cleaner run, but the downside of that is that you wind up with the fuse in kind of a hard to reach spot under the intake manifold.

Tradeoffs. They both work, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spiderserie4:
the back-up hood release cable is there, hard to see in picture
same goes for trunk release
but thanks for taking the time to inquire and advise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts