Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
I was wondering if there are any options to unleash the Alfa sound from a fuel injected S4, without going down the carb conversion route? Air-filters, air box changes, etc. Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,260 Posts
You can replace the rear muffler with a straight pipe. Personally I find that too loud, but sound is a subjective thing and a lot of folks like it. Do a search for stinger exhaust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some years ago I had a 1.6 S4 where I had the rear muffler replaced by a straight pipe. Ok for a short ride or a twisty road but at constant speeds it became painfull. This why this time I was looking at the intake...

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
Some years ago I had a 1.6 S4 where I had the rear muffler replaced by a straight pipe. Ok for a short ride or a twisty road but at constant speeds it became painful...
maybe because the 1.6 version of the S4 has no cat and it also has carbs (which gurgle a little), not injection.
I think the cat helps somewhat to keep these cars quiet.

When I first bought my s4 2.0 (has a Cat) I wanted to replace the rear box with a straight through pipe as I had read on here years ago it gives a raspier sound.

...looked under my car and it already had one! So mine doesn't sound noisy at all! (in a tunnel you can just hear the difference, but I travel often 3/400 miles on the autobahns at 80/90 mph.

the straight thru is only 50 euros to buy and try out (with chrome tailpipe)

I have the K&N drop in filter, but that is as quiet as the original....

I suppose you could get the squadra chip for your s4.......you'd get a little more mid range poke, but no more noise;)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You could probably fashion a cold air intake out of tubing sections, couplers, and a K&N cone filter. At least on my S3, there is a bit of room for a filter to the left of the radiator.

A more radical option is what I have: turbo it and run straight pipes after the turbo :) It's loud, but the turbo acts as enough of a muffler that it's not loud to the point of being obnoxious.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo! Turbo and straight pipes!? That's a bit to much for me... But sounds good! ;-)

I wil investigate that Squadra chip! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The Squadra chip is a DEFINITE improvement:thumbup:

I installed one in my manual car some years ago when my boys were younger and liked coming out for rides in the car. Without knowing I had done anything they both noticed and remarked on the car sounding and going better.

The biggest improvement for me is the low down torque increase - it means you can potter around at low speeds without having to change down from third to second, for example.

I would like to put one in the automatic too but the guys at Squadra don't know whether it would be OK or not.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,260 Posts
Yeah, the chip works, but it won't change the sound of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Bruno,

International Auto Parts (USA) has an air filter kit they claim to add more power, and a louder intake sound. I tend to think this actually has the engine breathing hotter air than the stock system, with a slight loss of power, but this might be what you are looking for:

Alfa Romeo and Fiat Power Stack Performance Air Filter Kits

Hi folks!
I was wondering if there are any options to unleash the Alfa sound from a fuel injected S4, without going down the carb conversion route? Air-filters, air box changes, etc. Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,260 Posts
That IAP kit is only for the L-jetronic cars. Apparently it doesn't fit the S4.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah, the chip works, but it won't change the sound of the car
You're right in theory and I wouldn't suggest buying it to change the sound. But a happy side effect for me was that the sound is now crisper. I think my car was running rich before the swap because I was getting popping noises from unburned petrol in the exhaust when I lifted the pedal after hard acceleration. I don't get that now and the car sounds noticeably sharper through the rev range. Fuel economy is the same even though I drive it harder.

It is a car that came without a cat or a Lamda (oxygen) sensor. Without wanting to hi-jack this thread I do wonder if this means it was running rich as a result?
The Squadra chip I bought is designed for a non-cat car (there is a cat version available) so maybe doesn't have the default running rich position of a standard chip when the sensor is faulty or missing?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,260 Posts
That's possible. I tried it on a car with a lambda sensor and cat.

In general cars without a lambda sensor will be tuned to run a bit on the rich side, yes. It makes the power curve less sensitive to mixture and is also safer because you're less likely to go lean and damage something.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My guess is that you should re-think your initial exhaust options, maybe the Alfaholics kit will give a better sound w/o being too loud?
I have an S3 with the exhaust of an earlier car, manifold , no cat, small collector resonator, large muffler, and a stinger pipe and It isn't obnoxiously loud by any means....to me.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Hmmm. When I check the IAP website for the kit, it shows up as available for my S4. Also, the upper picture appears to be an S4 setup as evidenced by the air hose. It's just theoretical anyway, since I don't plan to buy the item :whistling:

QUOTE=Gubi;6001321]That IAP kit is only for the L-jetronic cars. Apparently it doesn't fit the S4.[/QUOTE]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts