Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a nice ‘91 Spider about 7 years ago, and in a lapse of sanity, I sold it. I still regret that and am thinking of another (along with a couple other cars). So, looking for an S4 in Red, Silver or Black, with a/c. (yes, because it actually kinda works in this car.), Also, and at the risk or derision, I would consider an auto. I have a FIAT Spider and that has a manual, and my wife doesn’t drive a stick so…
Not looking for concourse or a CE but of course not a train wreck either. I figure a price of about 9-10 (note: upped from 6-8) is not too unreasonable. I’m on Long Island.
Thanks
Sam
Runouteast at Hotmail.com

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Good luck Sam. I think your cutoff price of reasonableness may require an upward adjustment. Series 4 Spiders in good shape with little/no deferred maintenance and working air conditioning are changing hands above the 6-8K range. Good idea to consider an automatic. Regardless of the blah blah that it's not a true sports car (BTW, can one buy a new Ferrari 458 Italia with a manual gearbox? No? Shame, I guess Ferraris are no longer sports cars) they are gems. It's still an Alfa, good looking and unique, best coachwork and bumper integration since the round tails, turns heads and draws compliments everywhere, and anyone can drive it, including all the scoffers someday when their left knee won't let them drive a manual transmission anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck Sam. I think your cutoff price of reasonableness may require an upward adjustment. Series 4 Spiders in good shape with little/no deferred maintenance and working air conditioning are changing hands above the 6-8K range. Good idea to consider an automatic. Regardless of the blah blah that it's not a true sports car (BTW, can one buy a new Ferrari 458 Italia with a manual gearbox? No? Shame, I guess Ferraris are no longer sports cars) they are gems. It's still an Alfa, good looking and unique, best coachwork and bumper integration since the round tails, turns heads and draws compliments everywhere, and anyone can drive it, including all the scoffers someday when their left knee won't let them drive a manual transmission anymore.
You don't ask you don't get.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Your S4's out there Sam... there are a ton of Spiders on the market (as you well know).

Note to potential seller: Sam is a straight shooter (as they say in Tombstone) and a good man to deal with. He does know his Alfas, BTW, having owned several.

Once you find one Sam, let me know and we'll chat.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Dave!
Jon, that is one sweet S3. I'm holding out for an S4 as I had one and really liked it.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's no big deal as the car was sold in NA. I think you might have to pay 2.5% duty since it's a foreign made car but you are still ahead on the currency exchange.
Thanks, I sent a message to seller!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just an idea, especially if you're concerned about hidden issues - you could call or visit Giuseppe at Alfa Auto Clinic in Baldwin and ask if he has or knows one. You might pay a little less getting one on your own, but working thru a shop might help you avoid surprises. That shop is one of the few remaining LI shops with guys who really know Alfas. I do suspect that one in the $6-8k range is going to need something though. Well sorted, I think you're looking at more like $10k (or above).

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an idea, especially if you're concerned about hidden issues - you could call or visit Giuseppe at Alfa Auto Clinic in Baldwin and ask if he has or knows one. You might pay a little less getting one on your own, but working thru a shop might help you avoid surprises. That shop is one of the few remaining LI shops with guys who really know Alfas. I do suspect that one in the $6-8k range is going to need something though. Well sorted, I think you're looking at more like $10k (or above).
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I am considering selling my red 91 Spider Veloce as have lost interest and I have too many other vehicles. I am the 3rd owner and have had it since 1998 (the first 2 owners were father and son and they put 45K miles on it) and it has less than 68000 miles on it (with very few the last several years). It is in better condition than when I bought it and was repainted in 2003 (I prepped it) because front end looked sandblasted, transmission rebuilt and clutch replaced, new windshield, and all kinds of minor work such as hoses, belts, and brakes. A/C compressor had to be replaced as the original locked up. It still has the original black canvas top, tan leather/suade interior, and black carpet (garaged all its life).

The problem for Sam is this car is in Birmingham (Pelham), Alabama.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I am considering selling my red 91 Spider Veloce as have lost interest and I have too many other vehicles. I am the 3rd owner and have had it since 1998 (the first 2 owners were father and son and they put 45K miles on it) and it has less than 68000 miles on it (with very few the last several years). It is in better condition than when I bought it and was repainted in 2003 (I prepped it) because front end looked sandblasted, transmission rebuilt and clutch replaced, new windshield, and all kinds of minor work such as hoses, belts, and brakes. A/C compressor had to be replaced as the original locked up. It still has the original black canvas top, tan leather/suade interior, and black carpet (garaged all its life).

The problem for Sam is this car is in Birmingham (Pelham), Alabama.
Warren, you have my attention! I have bought cars long distance before. A PITA, but NOT out of the question.
Can you shoot me some pics and give me an idea of what you are looking to get for it?
I will PM you my email address
Thanks
Sam

1 - 20 of 56 Posts