Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone with a stock S4 Spider setup let me know unloaded ride height, like at the top of the wheel openings? I made some suspension changes and want to see how it compares to stock, as I might want to shim it a bit. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1991 Spider Veloce, 2017 Giulia Ti
114 Posts
My measurements after the deep passenger spring pan, all other suspension stock, 195/60 R15 tires on phonedials. F 27 PSI, R28 PSI........
Front: 24 3/8” or 619 mm

Rear: 23 5/8” or 600 mm

The brand new rubber spring pads top and bottom in the front may contribute somewhat to the front measurement?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
You wouldn't expect the measurements to the tops of the wheel arches to be the same due to the different shapes of the arches. Measuring under the jack points is a better indication of front to rear ride height.

You do know the thing about observing the angle of the lower control arms to determine how low is too low, right Tom?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Keemosabe

You do know the thing about observing the angle of the lower control arms to determine how low is too low, right Tom?
Yes, and hence my slight concern and confusion: the arms are angled upwards. It's currently got the Centerline springs and no spacers in front, which should be a significant drop from stock, but it also looks to be reasonable height (and measures pretty much the same as the above.)

The CL stuff is okay but I'm thinking to just go back to stock springs+shims as hard springs are probably overkill for the driving I'm doing. And hey, I've got time now to swap stuff around to try a few things and get it all right.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I originally went with CL Springs, the deeper pan and no spacers. On my 1990 S3.5 it was too much - it was as you describe. Yours is maybe worse due to the extra weight of your PS? I put the spacers back in and it's perfect IMO.

With shorter springs, no shims and a deeper pan you should be way lower than stock and the control arms are indicating that. Dunno about body measurements.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm kind of waffling between just putting in the spacers with the current CL springs, or going back to stock springs (in which case I need to decide whether to use the spacers or no.)

From what I can tell from the parts diagram / shop manual these originally came with a 7.5mm spacer in front, but given Alfa's documentation accuracy if folks have found otherwise I'd like to hear it: I don't recall what was originally in there.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Don't have precise notes -not sure I even measured them - but my spacers are about that.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm confident on the 7.5 mm, the number in the parts diagram references to a 7.5 mm Alfa part, I was more wondering if the shims were always in there on the S4. Lotta weirdness on these cars sometime (e.g., the S4 parts diagram shows two different depths of spring pan, but apparently they all shipped with the shallow pans.)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the thing I hate about springs is they always seem to be more art than science.

Pulled the left Centerline spring and found it had a 7mm shim under it (the right did not.) I assumed this was to adjust for the fact that it had had shallow pans on both sides. Now that I have the deep pan on the right, I reinstalled new stock springs with one 7mm spacer on each side. Nope, too low on the left. Redid it adding a second 7mm shim on the left and now it sits level and the lower arms are straight.

Man, those stock springs are long: I forgot that this job just takes freakin' forever with the threaded rod method and stock springs.

Final measurements are 24-3/4" at the front fenders and 23-3/4" at the rear fenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts