Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some recommendations on engine oil for a 1991 S4. I checked the manual and 10W 40 Shell Fire and Ice is suggested but articles suggest closer viscosities. What's a good reliable engine oil for this car with 32K miles which resides in NJ?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,422 Posts
Closer as in less of a range between the xxW number and the second number? Nah, there's no basis for that. Folks used to think that because a larger range between the numbers required more VI (viscosity index) additives with dino oil. With modern synthetics that's not an issue, and a larger range is better because you get better startup flow.

If you do a search in the BB you will find a million opinions on the subject. Personally I use Mobil1 15W50 in all the Alfas and they seem pretty happy. If you're going to be driving a lot in the cold the Mobil1 0W40 might be a better option. Has slightly less ZDDP but should be fine for a broken-in engine.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15-50 in both of my Spiders because it still has 1300 Parts Per Million ZDDP. Urban legend has it that reduced ZDDP results in cam & lifter wear in flat tappet engines like our Alfa Nord engines. Lots of later engine designs have roller lifters that don't have the extreme rubbing forces. The Chevrolet 454 CID engine in my motorhome has roller lifters, so I am comfortable using Mobil 1 10-30 with lower ZDDP.

Closer as in less of a range between the xxW number and the second number? Nah, there's no basis for that. Folks used to think that because a larger range between the numbers required more VI (viscosity index) additives with dino oil. With modern synthetics that's not an issue, and a larger range is better because you get better startup flow.

If you do a search in the BB you will find a million opinions on the subject. Personally I use Mobil1 15W50 in all the Alfas and they seem pretty happy. If you're going to be driving a lot in the cold the Mobil1 0W40 might be a better option. Has slightly less ZDDP but should be fine for a broken-in engine.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
where in NJ are you?

my car is stored in NJ.

i use 20W-50.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Thanks ... what filters do you use?
i use whatever the mechanic puts in but in the past when i have had to buy one, i bought bosch or fram.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i use whatever the mechanic puts in but in the past when i have had to buy one, i bought bosch or fram.
*gasp*! bosch or fram?! Junk.

If you live in NJ, Castrol 20w/50 is good. If you drive in the winter..I assume you won't....10w/40.

Filters? Wix/Napa Gold (same thing). Bobistheoilguy.com Lots of folks take these things apart, take a look...

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
*gasp*! bosch or fram?! Junk.

If you live in NJ, Castrol 20w/50 is good. If you drive in the winter..I assume you won't....10w/40.

Filters? Wix/Napa Gold (same thing). Bobistheoilguy.com Lots of folks take these things apart, take a look...
i never had any issues with those two filters.

never used wix or napa gold.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually may use the car from time to time in winter when the roads are clean. Just to keep the battery charged and the fluids moving. I recently purchased the car and the po had the oil changed prior to my buying it. I think he used 10w40. Thoughts?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I actually may use the car from time to time in winter when the roads are clean. Just to keep the battery charged and the fluids moving. I recently purchased the car and the po had the oil changed prior to my buying it. I think he used 10w40. Thoughts?
If the temp is below 40, I'd recommend 10w/40, otherwise 20w/50. So, you might fill with 10w/40 for the winter and then drain and refill in the spring with 20w/50. Again, recommend a Wix/Napa Gold filter, I've spent entirely too much time researching this and have concluded this is the best.

Regardless of the oil you use in the winter, if the car has been sitting in the cold, let it warm up before really kicking it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Cut one open. All filters are not the same.
Yep, I'd never use a Fram filter unless I had to and they were one of my biggest suppliers when I was in the parts business. I use Wix only.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As far as filters go, how many people here use Baldwin, sold by Centerline?

I picked up a Triumph TR6 a few months ago, and the need for zink in the oil (according to the forums) is paramount. For cams and lifters...anyway, I've found that many use Valvoline Racing oil, 20/50, as it's marketed towards the crowd with these cars. Found at Napa autoparts and others, it's between $6 and $7 per quart.

I did not know that Mobile 1 had high concentrations of ZDDP. It's bad for Catalytic converters, and that's why it's been deleted by the oil manufacturers...I'd check the back of the bottle and make sure that it has zddp for our tappets. The Valvoline does.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
IAP always carried excellent products for our spiders and when they were around they carried the Bosch 3402 oil filter which i thought was excellent.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
regarding the oil brands, i personally think that all the major brands are the same: castrol, penzoil, mobile 1, valvoline, etc..

i use shell when i visit my mechanic in long island, NY because that is what he carries but when i do an oil change in NJ i'll use penzoil.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
The Mobil 1 website lists ZDDP levels, but it's not the same for all formulations. You must drill down to the product guide: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

...I did not know that Mobile 1 had high concentrations of ZDDP. It's bad for Catalytic converters, and that's why it's been deleted by the oil manufacturers...I'd check the back of the bottle and make sure that it has zddp for our tappets. The Valvoline does.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
been my experience, Baldwin makes a very good filter. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Baldwin and Wix are my go to filters in all applications.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts