Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The aluminum cups at the top are the shims. Look at the first page of parts on the rear suspension.

In post 11 above, ss4 shows a parts diagram for the '91 -'93 Spider that shows the shim.

My Spider is a 1991, but no shim.

I am thinking there is a difference between EU and non EU cars and Classic only carry's EU version springs.

Vin

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
JimG is correct the shims are aluminium 'cups' (CA calls them spacers)....but there is also a metal seat under the shim cup I think
CA has the metal cup/seat and 3 sizes of aluminium shim cups.
Just strange the S4 parts book (whether US/EU) just gives QTY as 1 and not 2.
......a misprint maybe, wouldn't be the first!?

rear.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
You would have either the thin metal cup or the aluminum shim.

The aluminum shim takes the place of the thin metal cup.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone.

As I said, I do not want to change the ride height. Looks like everyone carries the shorter springs.

So looks like I am left with finding, making, installing spacers.

To me, looks like the simplest would be to have a 1 1/4" thick donut made out of metal. I would think to install between the cup and the rubber seat.

How does that sound or are there better ideas out there?

I can't be the first to go through this.

Vin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
Classic Alfa has spacers in different heights. They also have different springs for the pre/post Bosch cars. Did you get the right springs?

Anyway, I think you’re going to need to install the springs, see where it sits, and then buy appropriate spacers based on desired ride height.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Classic Alfa has spacers in different heights. They also have different springs for the pre/post Bosch cars. Did you get the right springs?

Anyway, I think you’re going to need to install the springs, see where it sits, and then buy appropriate spacers based on desired ride height.
I confirmed with Classic that I have the correct springs that they carry. They said "maybe the US vehicles are different from the EU. We (Classic) carry stock EU specs"

I saw the spacers that Classic carries. They might be where I end up.

Vin

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Its winter and it's not a big job to swap them out. If it were me I think I'd just go ahead and put them in, then find out where I was and go from there....

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Its winter and it's not a big job to swap them out. If it were me I think I'd just go ahead and put them in, then find out where I was and go from there....
I second this. Springs are more an art than science. And I don't think the Euro spec ride height is that much lower.

I would measure your current ride height, swap the springs, and see where you land. Worst case you could sell those as lowering springs if they sit too low.

Alfa Parts Exchange also has tons of spacers, since they are aluminum they don't wear out

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I agree.

I have some measurements I took a few years ago, but I will install the originals to get a baseline. Then install the new springs and measure.

Will do this in a week or so and report back.

Thanks to all for their help up to this point.

Vin

21 - 29 of 29 Posts