Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having dealt with a sticky passenger side up button I decided to disassemble the switch and clean it up. All went well until I reconnected it to the harness and found that driver's side up and passenger side down do not respond at all. I was careful to reassemble but no luck. Is there a "trick" to get it right?? Planning to take another crack at it tomorrow so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
I've never taken the switch apart, only cleaned them from the outside. All I can say is check the harness connector to make sure that when you plugged the switch back in it didn't push the contacts out of position. I've found a few contacts on various connectors pushed out of their 'slot' and not contacting the device blades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
yes, check you haven't pulled a couple of the wires out the back of the big square connector.

I suppose it is possible you put the pushers back wrong (I cannot remember anymore if that is possible, it was a while ago I refurbished mine)....make sure the wide copper area contacts the springy copper fingers, or contacts.
if it helps here is a short pdf I put together on the S4 window switch to compare with yours.

When these switches stick it is almost certainly starting to wear the springy copper contacts through (the short contacts are the ones that wear)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never taken the switch apart, only cleaned them from the outside. All I can say is check the harness connector to make sure that when you plugged the switch back in it didn't push the contacts out of position. I've found a few contacts on various connectors pushed out of their 'slot' and not contacting the device blades.
I've never taken the switch apart, only cleaned them from the outside. All I can say is check the harness connector to make sure that when you plugged the switch back in it didn't push the contacts out of position. I've found a few contacts on various connectors pushed out of their 'slot' and not contacting the device blades.
I did find one wire that pulled out and it solved part of the problem. I'll have to check again more carefully. What makes it difficult is the harness wires on my car are short and don't provide much room to work. Thanks
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top