Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Spider Veloce, 2017 Giulia Ti
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going nuts under COVID19 shut down/stay home constraints!! ? So decided to tackle replacing the passenger side spring pan with the deeper pan I bought 2 years ago. I’ve successfully dropped the original pan using the all thread method described on other threads. The lower spring pad is really distorted up, is that normal? And before installing the deeper pan should I replace the lower pad or is it just going to look like this one as soon as everything is back together?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Should not look like that. The rubber pad, metal cover, and end coil of the spring should have essentially the same contour but also need to be aligned when assembled. Maybe something has moved, earlier removal didn't achieve correct alignment, or the springs have been replaced with a style with a different end?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I kinda figured that. It’s pretty contorted up. My car only has 29K miles on 9K that I put on. To my knowledge it’s never had spring work done, so.......probably that way since it was built. I just ordered new pads and spring seats. Thanks again, this is my first attempt at suspension work not counting new shocks. ?

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
What is the purpose of the deeper pan?
The idea is that the passenger side sits a little lower unloaded so that it's level-ish with the driver in the car. There's more to it than the pans though - for whatever reason they sit a bit low on the driver side with equal depth pans. This thread discussed it:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
You could shim it. But with the unequal pans I didn't need to. It's a full centimeter....stock spacers are about half that I think.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the outcome of replacing the passenger side spring that matched the driver side with a deeper pan? The car now sits within an 1/8” of even side to side as measured from a flat concrete floor up to the bottom corners of the bumper cover. Before the replacement the passenger side was almost 1” higher at the same measurement points. Also replaced sway bar to body bushings, sway bar drop links, rubber spring pads top and bottom on both sides and one spring seat on the passenger side that was badly distorted. Seemed the spring had been misaligned in the seat and pan from the factory. (See my original post in this thread) Have not road tested yet due to thunderstorms and hail today ? but I’m pleased with the appearance.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
that looks nice and even!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
That's a good catch. I've got the same uneven sit at the rear on my S4 and it's got the shallow front pans. I always assumed it was because of the gas tank, but I guess not?

I ordered a deep pan and will report back after install.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Oh man, I've got a whole theory on that! All the late USA models sit funny until you put the proper pan on the passenger side.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
Well I wish you guys had told me sooner: my left a$$ is dragging!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine may have been amplified by the lower spring pad and seat being all bunched up too. But, the deep pan seems to have resolved the stance to an even keel. Relatively inexpensive fix even doing all new pads top and bottom. After seeing the mess in the bottom of the passenger side, I figured it made sense to pull the driver side apart too. It was fine, but now I know what I have.....both sides. Been on my list a while, COVID19 provided the window ?‍♂.

·
Registered
211 Posts
OK
Now I need to measure my ride height today!
My previous 1990 Spider ride height unevenness was extreme, tried shimming etc to no avail until deep pan was installed.
I am definitely not running out of COVID projects!
BOYCOTT fg CHINA forever

1 - 17 of 17 Posts