Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, it's getting a little stretched out trying to get it to fit, so I may resort to soaking it in steaming water to see if that helps the last little bit. Yet, the other 3 hose ends (2 at the separator and one at the cam cover) were perfect fits, so this one is off for some reason.
1. When you removed the previous hose, how difficult was it to get off?
2. Did you compare the two hoses?
3. It's possible that the original was made to be a snug fit so that it wasn't blown off while driving and spewing oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A little off topic but if you Alfa (1973) has been converted to Delortos what do you do with the hose from the oil separator that used to go to the air filter?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
With Dellortos there's no oil separator. Generally there's just an L-shaped hose that goes from the cam cover to the airbox.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With Dellortos there's no oil separator. Generally there's just an L-shaped hose that goes from the cam cover to the airbox.
I have a hose going from the separator to the cam cover but the bottom hose is just vented to the road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1. When you removed the previous hose, how difficult was it to get off?
2. Did you compare the two hoses?
3. It's possible that the original was made to be a snug fit so that it wasn't blown off while driving and spewing oil.
Hi -- 1) the old hoses came off without much fuss. Remove the euro hose clamps, twist/tug and they were off. All three hoses were cracked through.
2) The two new formed hoses (the smaller hose for draining the oil from the separator back to engine was just a regular 1/4" PCV hose) matched up in shape and end sizes, except for the plenum fitting. The fitting is ~18mm across, and the hose ID is ~10mm. "Steeping" the hose in boiling water for 10 mins didn't help much. The plenum is made of plastic and the fitting was flexing quite a bit trying to squeeze the hose on -- so I didn't want it snapping off.
3) Don't think so. The other ends were sized appropriately. They were a friction fit, but were on pretty easily -- just the plenum was an issue.

I checked with Classic Alfa. They said that was the only version available and they've never had a fitment complaint before. It's possible I have a replacement plenum, as it's looking somewhat fresher than the rest of the engine. I'll be heading to an alfafest this weekend, so if I see another S4 I'll say "Can I see your plenum?" and hope I don't get mace'd. In the interim, I patched the old hose and pressed it back into service for a while.

Thanks,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
Like I said, I've got an S4 and had the same problem with the CA hose. Can't tell you why but it definitely did not fit my car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Like I said, I've got an S4 and had the same problem with the CA hose. Can't tell you why but it definitely did not fit my car.
Yep -- and thank you for that. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I would've really tried cramming that hose on, and I'd probably be looking at a big hole in the plastic where the fitting used to be.....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
I have a hose going from the separator to the cam cover but the bottom hose is just vented to the road.
That'll work, I guess, but that's the oil drain and I assume it'll make a mess. There should be somewhere to connect it, I think on the SPICA cars it's at the base of the dipstick.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts