Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years of spider ownership and I’m still discovering things I probably should’ve well known by now. Anyway, while doing some engine compartment cleaning I came across two badly cracked hoses that need replacement (it looks like one of them had failed a while ago, but someone had just epoxied a bigger hose around it). Both hoses attache to a device at the fender that I had never paid much attention to -- the oil separator (according to the engine compartment schematic).

In reading the postings on alfabb, prior to replacing the hoses, it sounds like I should really take the opportunity to clean out the separator. It doesn’t appear to allow internal access, so I just wanted to ask if the idea of soaking/agitating the unit in a container of carb cleaner would be the way to go (especially if it looks like the inlets and outlets are mostly plugged).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I recently cleaned my separator when the car was down for injector seals/fuel hoses. I initially used brake cleaner on the outside, but let it soak in engine degreaser for several hours, turning it over several times to let the liquid into the corners and crevices. There's nothing inside that can be accessed-- it works on a cyclonic air flow principle.

BTW-- If I recall, I believe OKP in Germany has the hoses. Or maybe check Mr Fiat and Bertelsbeck, also.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
what I do is cut some old corks to fit snug into the 2 big inlets, then block the holes after spraying half a can of brake cleaner in there, shake it like you are trying to win the ****tail championship...drain and repeat till what flows out is relatively clean.
A nice coat of black paint to finish off, and squirt 10cl of oil in the small drain hose going to the block

if you have those original 'clic' hose clamps, they are tricky to release depending on access....the proper way to release them and fit them back is with a pair of 'clic-R pliers'.

searching the PNs for the OVS hoses (alfa 60564748 the longer one to hard plastic plenum tube / alfa 60777364 is the one to cam cover) brings up several shops in Germany,
okp, alf-ricambi, alfa-onlineshop, bertelsbeck, or italian-car-parts (latter is a German ebay seller)

nb. Centerline has one of the hoses nos

·
Registered
282 Posts
You've found your Alfa's "dirty little secret"!!
Take a deep breath and check out this post
Hoses might be avail from Di Fatta Brothers ...
No need for part $s...they will know what you want!!

You need to join AROC AROC – Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
if for no other reason to get electronic copies of manuals & parts diagrams!!
Have fun
Paul
In the mean time start with this

1579271644588.png
1579271789836.png

Attachments

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
remember though, there is a difference between MY88 (your photos above of parts catalogue) and the S4 (which is the title of this thread) when it comes to those two hoses;)
PNs are always useful, that's why I take the time to put them there....:cool:

nb: to edit click on the 3 little dots

edit.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies. I get the two upper molded hoses today via Classic Alfa, and the lower drain hose I'll replace with regular high-temp hose. We'll see what almost 3 decades of oil gunk looks like......

Painting after cleaning never occurred to me, but I have some high-temp engine paint, so what the heck -- I'll do that.

Thank you,

Kurt

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I would put the separator in a coffee can and fill it with Kerosene and let it soak for a few days, shaking it occasionally. Then blow it out with compressed air.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Put it in a can of carb cleaner (the caustic varnish eating solvent that comes in a gallon can) and let it sit for a week. Agitate once a day. The paint will be dissolved and any internal varnish turned to liquid. Flush with carb/brake cleaner. repaint when done and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently cleaned my separator when the car was down for injector seals/fuel hoses. I initially used brake cleaner on the outside, but let it soak in engine degreaser for several hours, turning it over several times to let the liquid into the corners and crevices. There's nothing inside that can be accessed-- it works on a cyclonic air flow principle.

BTW-- If I recall, I believe OKP in Germany has the hoses. Or maybe check Mr Fiat and Bertelsbeck, also.
Well I guess I do have a follow-up question.

Got the oil separator hoses from Classic Alfa, but I should’ve checked them a little closer upon arrival. The breather hose cam cover/separator is fine, but the breather hose separator/plenum is different. The orig saiag hose has wide ends, and the classic alfa version has a wide end where it connects to the separator, but is slimmer where it connects to the plenum. And I’d say the ID of the new hose end is about half as wide as the original hose end.

Just wondering if there was a difference between between the U.S. and Euro cars -- although for a simple oil separator system that seems unlikely.

It looks like the OKP version is the same

OKP GmbH

Even though if you expand the diagram to the right of the hose picture on this OKP website, it shows the hose placement and that hose is wider on both ends.

I guess I can just go off and find a wide fuel rated flexible hose somewhere, but I was hoping for a fitted hose. Or I could try to cram the new hose onto the plenum regardless of size, but the plenum fitting is just a piece of plastic that doesn’t feel very durable. So I’m just wondering if anyone else recently replaced the hose and what they used.

Thanks,
Kurt

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
odd, even the original Alfa hose has one wide, one thinner end...
don't break the plastic plenum!...you might be able to use another short piece of larger hose and slip the new CA hose inside that? (maybe even a piece of the old hose end?)

centerline has one NOS original in stock (PN ending***748)
NOS Oil Breather Tube Late Spider | Centerline International

can you post a photo of your orig. SAIAG hose and the CA one side by side?
and a photo of the hard plastic tube it has to connect to?

Now, the US and EU parts diagram in fact both list two PNs for that one hose, but not sure what is meant by the designation "C2501" and "D2501"
there must have been some change (there were a lot of small changes).....might be early and late S4s??
hose OVS.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi -- here's a pic (I hope -- still learning to live with a chromebook).

It's a closeup of the plenum fitting. The host above the fitting to the left, is the new hose and the wider one next to it is the orig saiag hose.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Ah ok that doesn’t look too much of a difference. Remember the old hose will have swelled a fair bit over 20 odd years of oily fumes!
I’d just Heat the new hose end in hot soapy water then try fit it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it's getting a little stretched out trying to get it to fit, so I may resort to soaking it in steaming water to see if that helps the last little bit. Yet, the other 3 hose ends (2 at the separator and one at the cam cover) were perfect fits, so this one is off for some reason.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
I got the same part from CA last year. It doesn't fit and I think it's going to be tough to make it fit.

I figure I can use a short, larger diameter piece of hose to bridge from the nipple to the outside of the new hose with a couple clamps, but the one on the car isn't that bad yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
agreed. I gave up for today and sent a message to CA to ask if they had any advice. The original hose had failed at the bottom, but the expanded molded part at the top is still is decent shape, so I may be able to take that off and attach to the new hose. We'll see.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
What about measuring the inside of the new CA hose end (with a vernier caliper) and then asking Joe at Centerline (he is a member here, JoeCab) to measure the NOS alfa original he has?
If his fits, buy that and send the CA one back.
Could be CA got hold of a bad batch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts