Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced my OE steering wheel with this combination of quality parts, but I must let people know that if you intend to do this, be ready for a tedious job.
You need a puller to remove wheel and be carefull with treads as they are easy to damage, my hub did not go far enough into the splines so I had to use my dremmel and enlarge the plastic covers behind the wheel, before I was able to install wheel safely, since I do not want my wheel to come off while I am turning
Big job but very nice look, since I am trying to recreate what a sports car should be, no air bags, Talbot type mirrors, air horns
Verified my mileage during the last 5 days and I am getting 31 miles to the gallon, driving 50-50 highway and city driving
Very happy with this automobile, and I had 37 cars up to now and this is one of the most enjoyable one with my Porsche 930S who is still part of the family and 1977 TVR that I sold in 1987.

·
Registered
520 Posts
centerline has them for around 300 plus hub cost

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the steering wheel on Ebay $122 US but by the time it got here with shipping, duties, taxes I must say cost is $225 and here is the name of the guys selling a lot of Nardi wheels in Japan bcnr33vhiro via Ebay, You can do a search by name and you will find more for sale. For the hub assembly $70. with shipping from Luisi steering wheels on Internet. But I must say that the hub wasn't reaching far enough into the splines, that I had to dremmel a larger hole into the steering plastic casing ( Where flasher and Headlight controls are located)
Very happy with it and I will post a picture later on today

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to be of help, so many of you have done it for me, it is normal to give back

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes but I really wanted leather, so that is would not be slippery when nice and warm

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have just replaced my OE steering wheel with this combination of quality parts, but I must let people know that if you intend to do this, be ready for a tedious job.
You need a puller to remove wheel and be carefull with treads as they are easy to damage, my hub did not go far enough into the splines so I had to use my dremmel and enlarge the plastic covers behind the wheel, before I was able to install wheel safely, since I do not want my wheel to come off while I am turning
Big job but very nice look, since I am trying to recreate what a sports car should be, no air bags, Talbot type mirrors, air horns
Verified my mileage during the last 5 days and I am getting 31 miles to the gallon, driving 50-50 highway and city driving
Very happy with this automobile, and I had 37 cars up to now and this is one of the most enjoyable one with my Porsche 930S who is still part of the family and 1977 TVR that I sold in 1987.
Can you tell me about the mirrors please. I have an s3 I am looking to modify and make less 80's. I prefer the chrome ones over the painted plastic ones I now have. Have you purchased/installed the mirrors yet ? if so, would appreicate details.

Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going with Talbot type mirrors (Bullet shape) in chrome
Another reminder of years gone by

·
Registered
125 Posts
Salut Porsche
Ca va? J'habite a Montreal.
In my opinion you should keep the original side mirrors and avoid replacing them with the Talbots.Your car looks great just the way it is. On the other hand the Nardi looks real good.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree that the black wheel lokks really good in the S4 - somehow to me at least more fitting than a wood one, which I think of as more of a classic look for say a 70's Spider. Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
i think one of the Nardi classico's would be great in a tan interiored s4/ but agree the more modern black goes well with a black interiored car.

doug hunt(who wants a red/tan 1991 real bad)(just so i can install one of those nardi classicos in 390mm)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bonjour Adriatico
I live in Ste Julie
I have replaced the mirrors with Talbot replicas but do not like what I see ( nothing in right side) so I will get some chromes for the early 80 for my Spider
I have kept the OE ones so that when I seell the car all original parts will be in the trunk, so if new owner wants OE look he can have it

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
im sure that this has been asked - do i have to notify my insurance company if i do this since i have an airbag? i have hagerty's. thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not but I will when its time to renew, but if you remember years ago when the first airbag came out, we were told that they had to be exchange every 10 years or so
In fact I did not trust my airbag anyway and for me the steering wheel looked wrong for the car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts