Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing the lower knee bolster. So far I have found the 2 hidden bolts on each end that are revealed when the door is open. 2 bolts under the bolster, one in each outer corner. 4 bolts attached at center console. Resistance felt on both sides of radio area. Has anyone removed the bolsters before or have a diagram showing locations of fasteners?
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Are you referring to the large, one-piece knee bolster that runs from door to door on the S3's? If so, I'm assuming that you have disconnected the wires to both courtesy light fixtures and the light dimmer rheostat (or removed them completely from the bolster). The fuse panel must also be freed from the bolster. This is done by removing one of the retaining clips that support the two fuse panel pivot arms and then sliding the remaining pivot pin out of it's clip. You have to squeeze the retaining clips to release them from the square hole in the bolster's sheet metal. Although the Shop Manual does not mention it, I have found it impossible to free the bolster without first unbolting the hood latch from the A Pillar. After that there is only a funny triangular flap riveted to the bolster behind the ignition switch that has to be nursed out and away from the steering column cover. And you need to pull the top of the bolster out while leaving the bottom of it in to clear the shift arm.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
diagram on page 66-14/2 of workshop manual
might help some
knee pad.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Pull the radio. There is one bolt on each side you have to remove.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info. Looks like #3 are the two bolts I need to access.
Thanks to all for providing guidance
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Yes. Definitely. The radio has to come out because there are four 10mm nuts under it that have to be removed to free up the bolster.
S4 is different form the S3 1 piece.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great point Jim. I always thought the S4 was one piece but #5 in the diagram is a bridge filler between the two halves. Now I need to find that tool used to remove the radio. Two long metal strips which I fear are long gone. Time to improvise!! Think she will miss two dinner knifes?
Jon

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
There are 3 different styles. 1986 S3 which is the 3 piece. Which also what Europe keep using to the end of the spider run. 1987 to 1990. One long bolster that goes underneath the radio. Then the S4's which are 2 seperate units.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all the directions the bolster(s) are out. I released the hood lock cable at the engine bay latch as it was easier to reach. Access to the two center bolts is through the radio opening. I suggest removing the a/c vents to prevent damage, three plastic clips on the base accessed through the radio opening. Release the clips carefully as they break easily. I was able to release the radio using a discreetly borrowed and returned dinner knife. Utube video also helpful. Photos show the location of the fasteners and the bridge filler.
Again thanks to all.
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
well done!...:)

just remember - don't slam the hood closed!

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good suggestion. I'm surprised I didn't break parts though.
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
I just pull the inner cable out of the housing for the hood. That way its easier to put it back in without trying to feed the housing through the firewall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts