Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
the 5 amp fuse keeps blowing out as soon as I start the car and then after a few minutes of driving the battery light comes on.

thank goodness the temp gauge works down here in florida.

any easy suggestions?

Rande

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,026 Posts
Fuse #7? Very often that's a short in the lighter socket.

Also, fuse 7 should be 10A per the manual.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
you mean the instrument gauge lighting (fuse#9, counting from the left)? that should be an 8 amp...there are no 5 amp fuses on the spider........not sure if that is your problem, though.

Have you checked battery is good with a voltmeter (DVM), a healthy battery should be 12,5 volts and also the voltage across the battery when the car is ticking over to make sure the alternator is putting out charge? (should be something like 14v)

Edit: the US spider might be different??

·
Premium Member
3,644 Posts
Rande,

Is the fuse in the main fuse box?. If so, it appears you are using an incorrect fuse. My shop manual fuse table for a '91 S4 Spider doesn't show a 5A fuse. The lowest is 7.5A for positions 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14. Also, there is a factory bulletin 90.06, that changes fuse 5 from 7.5A to 10A. Fuse 5 covers radio, stop lights & courtesy lights.

Hi,
the 5 amp fuse keeps blowing out as soon as I start the car and then after a few minutes of driving the battery light comes on.

thank goodness the temp gauge works down here in florida.

any easy suggestions?

Rande

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
i just checked my cd manual and 7.5 is the lowest fuse listed. there are several in my fusebox that the PO has replaced with 5's.

Funny, this is a daily driver for me the past several years, no issues as far as these fuses go.

are 8 amp fuses availabe at advance auto and other places?
R

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
10A will do if that is what the AR bulletin upgraded it to, should be easily available.........should be red.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again,

so i replaced it with a 10A and it still blows. I disconnected the fuel gauge wires from the trunk/gas tank and it blew. I disconnected the lighter by seperating the wires under the shift console (automatic trans), blew again.

oh yeah, it has been several weeks since this started, and today my battery went dead, shop put it on the charger for an hour and tested it, holding a charge. a new battery i put in today is showing a 12.7 amps while running.

other thoughts?

thanks for any help

Rande

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
........a new battery i put in today is showing a 12.7 amps while running
you mean 12.7 volts whilst engine running?

........it should be nearer 14 volts running.

I don't know how it would blow a fuse, but I would investigate the alternator. Maybe the voltage regulator is playing up....you can pull this out of the back of the alternator easily (take off air cleaner box assy for access, and the regulator is screwed into the back of the alternator by 2 screws) and inspect the brushes attached to it. One of the two retaining screws acts as a ground so clean that, and all the other connections whilst you are there.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts