Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92's temp guage works fine most of the time but once in awhile the needle dives below 0 and stay there. It seems to occur as the temperature nears the operating temperature and possibly only when the headlights are on. This morning it seemed to be reading a tiny bit lower than normal (no headlights). The thermostat was changed several years ago when I bought the car so it may be failing but that doesn't help with the original issue. The coolant level is fine and the engine temperature seems to be okay though I need to find another way to check it.

Probably one of those infamous bad grounds, a failing circuit in the instrument panel or even a sticky sender but since it only happens occasionally its going to be tough to track down. Has any body else encountered this problem and fixed it?

·
Administrator
16,999 Posts
I believe these senders are grounded via their threaded connection to the engine. I've had 'issues' when a PO applied thread sealer - effectively insulating the sender from a good ground connection.

Try removing the sender, cleaning the threaded area and re-installing it.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
the water temp sender is one of those with a single spade connector....they can work loose. Make sure it is tight, not corroded, split cable etc.
Pull the spade connector and ground it (Ign. ON), gauge should go to max. (if it doesn't I would suspect wiring or gauge itself)

If you pull the sender, polish the probe with one of those green kitchen scrub pads.

BTW in that link you posted above it says the temperature gauge for motronic is on the rad (that is the radiator fan on/off sender)....it is actually on the intake plenum, beside the blue connector:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1166893-post4.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts