Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm going to replace the clutch on my S4 and it would appear that I need to move the engine forward a couple of inches so I can access the top 2 bolts that attach the gearbox to the bellhousing. I can see the bolts for the engine mount on the drivers side, remove the top bolt from the top side and the lower nut from the bottom side. But how do you access the engine mount bolts on the passenger side?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Hello,

Hope this helps.

Try this

Good Luck,

Vin

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hi All,

I'm going to replace the clutch on my S4 and it would appear that I need to move the engine forward a couple of inches so I can access the top 2 bolts that attach the gearbox to the bellhousing. I can see the bolts for the engine mount on the drivers side, remove the top bolt from the top side and the lower nut from the bottom side. But how do you access the engine mount bolts on the passenger side?

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Hmm, unless an S4 is different from an s3, I dont know why you need to touch mounting bolts to replace clutch. I didnt even have to wory about that. You will have to tilt the entire engine/tranny dowwnward from the back end to be able to pull out bellhousing, though. Use 2 6" C clamps for that. This trick is NOT in the shop manual, to my dismay at that time!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Joe,

So how do you access the top 2 gearbox - bellhousing bolts?

Also, in your response do the engine mounts become pivot points as you tilt the engine? I'm assuming the 2 C-clamps are used to tilt it, where are they attached?

Thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,251 Posts
All 1750/2000 have the same engine/trans mounting bolts and studs. It can be tough to get at the upper ones. Tipping the trans down at the back can help, but beware you don't stretch hoses, wires, connections at the engine. Removing the exhaust and the intake plenum can help with access, but that's probably not what you wanted to hear.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
The clutch alignment tool that used to come with clutch kits is not the best in the world. If you can beg, borrow, steal, an old transmission input shaft that will get you lined up great and you won't be "@%$#%$#%$%$^&&%*%(*$$$" especially when trying to stab the trans from underneath the car.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hi Joe,

So how do you access the top 2 gearbox - bellhousing bolts?

Also, in your response do the engine mounts become pivot points as you tilt the engine? I'm assuming the 2 C-clamps are used to tilt it, where are they attached?

Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes, engine mounts become slight pivot points, as a result. No big deal to wory about. Yes, loosening exhause flange under car, near catalytic helps too (it's specified in the manual as well).

Clamp the C clamps this way: on top- to lower part of engine block, there should be a kind of "step" there, and on bottom, under the main cross member under engine. Use 2 of them, one on each side.

No need to mess with intake as mentioned above post.......just no need. Also, no worry about stretching hoses/elec, as youre talking about just a limited movement-just enough for a pivot/action, not so much distance.......

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts