Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get down to the end of the list of things to check on the 1991 S4 spider, I am inside the door lubricating the cables and checking everything to make sure it drains etc.

The door cards on this car were recovered in Tijuana (like the mechanic that worked on it) and they look like it. The speaker covers barely had any glue to hold the vinyl in place, the door pockets were just barely in place by a couple of screws and some homemade metal support. There were screws put in places where they were not to go. The panels are so pathetic I really don't want to put them back on the doors. Not knowing what an original panel looks like or what parts go where, it is best I find some replacements.

Anyone have a photo of the clips as I can source some out of Italy if I know what to get.

Photos of the backside?

Anyone have any complete black panels? Speakers included if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
S4 panels

Hi Doc,
I'll keep my eyes open for ya' on door cards. I guess I didn't see much when I was there. I was more enamored with your Super and my imagination running wild thinking of getting a ride in it.

Anyway, I'll look!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi Chris,

The stock panel of my S4 is out at the moment. If you need some pics just let me know. There are two types of clips, plastic and steel.

Joseph

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,

The stock panel of my S4 is out at the moment. If you need some pics just let me know. There are two types of clips, plastic and steel.

Joseph
That would be great. Knowing how the door pockets are held in place is one of the items. I read the article on the door clips so I will be sourcing some of those. I can reuse the speaker mounts if I can drill out the pop rivets. They used long ones and it looks bad. What I don't know is how the top door support holds the door card in place. I must be missing something there. A screw was put into the door panel from underneath into the metal skipping the support.
There was no plastic behind the door panel either to keep water from getting on the panel or speakers, so the first big rain or car wash would have soaked the door cards - not good.

Thank you to all for the help.
Christopher

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
What I don't know is how the top door support holds the door card in place. I must be missing something there...
you mean that trim piece along the window, or the top of the 'armrest' fixed at the top corner of the back of the door?

The trim piece: just clips in from the top.
see this expired ebay listing, scroll down to instructions:
1986 1993 Alfa Romeo Spider Upper Door Panel Trim Strips | eBay

The armrest: has a metal pin that fits into a plastic clip, which is set into the door metal itself.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/965063-post4.html

or did you mean neither of above?;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Chris, I've taken some pics which I hope will cover the whole issue. If you need more or if something is not clear just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
The white strip in the 1st and 4th pics above is double sided tape. This keeps the panel tight to the frame. More pic below..

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
So the 4 steel clips in the pic before the last (above) go in the white plastic tabs fitted in the door frame.....As you can see in the panel there are several holes which are empty. Plastic clips go in these holes (I had removed them), picture to follow, see the first ones below. Note that unlike the stel clips, the plastic clips go straight into the steel door frame without any female tabs. I will also attach a pic of the steel clips and of the white tabs in the door frame (which are now available in black).

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
now there is this steel pin at the top corner of the panel. this goes into a special tab (this goes in the hole marked with a green arrow) which can only be used once. See first pics below. See also the link posted by Vin...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After looking at your photos, I am missing the plastic parts in the front of the door, the plastic sheeting that holds the water off the door cards and all of the clips.

What is that part above the door pocket on the back of the panel? Is that used to keep it from going to far in and interfering with the window?

My door panels also have speaker holes where you have black tape. I will take some photos of my panels.

Good to know how your pockets are attached to the door panel. :)

Any idea where to get those 6mm cap nuts? Ace? HomeDepot? Lowes?

·
Registered
509 Posts
What is that part above the door pocket on the back of the panel? Is that used to keep it from going to far in and interfering with the window?
Yes, it's a sort of travel retainer.

Any idea where to get those 6mm cap nuts? Ace? HomeDepot? Lowes?
I live in Europe but I'm sure other members living in the States can help you.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
.....as we are on the subject of door trim clips/screws:)

the other important part you might need (if missing) is that green "trim screw nut" for attaching the armrest screw that faces straight 'up'' under the armrest 'grip' so to speak. This takes the main force when you pull the door closed. (see Joseph's excellent photos)
For info sake:
Fiat/Alfa pn# 14202883
Iveco pn# 17891880

look like this:
E.CO Italia Commerce | 57257 Nut screw in plastic

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the photos of my door panel and door. I have to reiterate that the quality on the panels is mediocre, hence I am buying replacement panels and attempting to get back to where it looks like it should.

the bottom of the door pocket was screwed to some home made metal bracket that wasn't attached to anything. The pop rivets are a half inch to long.

no pin or metal clips

Door handle hole

Overall of the door panel minus the rubber door pull

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are a few more:

There is the 3 metal brackets that hold the speaker cover to the door panel. I know something here isn't right, not sure what.

overall of the door just as I found it after removing the panel

Label A: Not sure how this interacts with the upper part of the door panel. For all I know it is upside down. Something must be missing from the panel?

Not having worked on a S4 spider, a lot of this is new ground as it is familiar.

The plastic speaker covers are recovered in vinyl but it was such a poor job, that the material was barely hanging on. The one on the passenger door is broken so I will be sourcing for some replacements.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
.....as we are on the subject of door trim clips/screws:)

the other important part you might need (if missing) is that green "trim screw nut" for attaching the armrest screw that faces straight 'up'' under the armrest 'grip' so to speak. This takes the main force when you pull the door closed. (see Joseph's excellent photos)
For info sake:
Fiat/Alfa pn# 14202883
Iveco pn# 17891880

look like this:
E.CO Italia Commerce | 57257 Nut screw in plastic
Great information on this one part. What I don't know is how it attaches to the door panel. I think something must be missing that goes over that green plastic part to hold the panel to the door.

·
Registered
509 Posts
AS Dom alraedy explained the green nuts are to fix the door handle (with screws), these take the pulling force. And no they are not mounted wrongly. The upper one should indeed be upside down as in your pic (see also the very first pic I uploaded). See this link:

FIAT ePER

Actually on the right hand side of the 8th pic from above which I uploaded, you can see two holes in the panel. The brackets with the green clips coincide with these two holes.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I will have to wait until I get the new panels and reinstalled to see how that goes. Thank you for the ePer diagram.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts